Word of the Day- Word for a Life | The Odyssey Online

Word of the Day- Word for a Life

7
Word of the Day- Word for a Life

There is a word out there in this world that technically does not exist. It was made up, to provide clarity to an emotion/feeling/perspective that each human experiences, but cannot explain. Now that I have discovered this definition, I feel the need to share it with as many people as possible. "Sonder" originally means "to probe" but has expanded to a new and improved definition created by The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows. If you take the time to look up the word, this is what you'll see:

Sonder- "the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own- populated with their own ambitions, friends, routines, worries, and inherited craziness- an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you'll never know existed, in which you might appear only once, as an extra sipping coffee in the background, as a blur of traffic passing on the highway, as a lighted window at dusk."

Deep stuff, man. I love it.

This is a very elaborate definition for an every day occurrence that most of us don't even take into consideration. There are people around you everyday that are the same/different than you. They have dreams, worries, stress, happiness, fears, and a purpose. they experienced a childhood, have a future, and have experienced both loss and joy in their own way. Everyone around you is equivalent, no matter what their background is. Each person has a story as mapped out and detailed as your own, whether you're a part of it or not. We are like tiny ants, made up of the same components, living in the same colony, but all on a different mission.

We walk down a street and see so many strangers, and automatically make assumptions on their lives. And people do this to us, too. I have always wondered how many conversations I have ben a part of involving humans that I don't know exist, and it's a scary yet fascinating thought. I make up stories about people in my mind, and wonder how close I get to their actual life. I believe that the Humans of New York posts is one of the greatest things that can be found on social media. It proves how diverse and beautiful each human is.

We forget how small we are sometimes. We forget the world does not revolve around us, and that each move we make effects others, and creates a chain reaction. We forget how much a single smile towards a stranger can trigger a positive reaction, and how a single rude comment can lead to destruction. We're all pieces of a giant puzzle, and fit together to create a larger meaning than we can ever grasp the concept of.

Sonder has helped me remember the importance of loving one another. It has helped me remember the importance of humanity, kindness, and the value of each separate life. Making a positive impact on one another is one of the greatest accomplishments made on this planet. We are all in this life together.