You're Wrong About My Future

You're Wrong About My Future

I'm not wasting my time majoring in music.

9
You're Wrong About My Future
USML Department of Music

Being a music major, I have a lot of people tell me that I'm wasting my time in school, that I'll never be able to find a job or that I'll always be poor. To those that say those things to me, you're wrong.

I aspire to be a successful band director one day. Music is a language understood all around the world. It breaks down barriers; it breaks down my walls and helps me to feel free. It is something I want to spread to many others and open their eyes to the most beautiful language that can be spoken. I'm driven by a fiery passion, one that won't let me give up until I succeed. Learning about something you're passionate about is never a waste of time.

I can't tell you how many times I've been told I'll never be able to find a job as a music major. I don't think people actually know the facts on the subject. There are many music education jobs. Many schools like to cut arts when funding is cut, but that is no longer an option because the Senate has made music a core subject. This means schools are required to have music classes. If anything, this means there are going to be more music education jobs. Schools that have previously cut music classes will have to add them back in. I don't think I have to worry about whether or not I'll be able to find a job.

People that tell me I'll always be poor really drive me crazy. I may not have the most money but I will definitely not be poor. I'll make enough to live comfortably. I don't think I'd consider that poor. I also like to think ill be quite rich. I'll be spending my life doing something I love, which is more than a lot of people can say about themselves. I'll be able to enrich the lives of so many students, giving them an outlet when they need to escape the world or a place to fit in when they need a family. I'll be able to teach them something that can change their lives forever and lead them on the path to greatness if they so choose to follow it. I hope to help them grow into incredible people. They'll learn teamwork and dependability. They'll learn to stand as a group despite their differences. They'll learn what it's like to be in a family that supports each other. They'll be able to learn that language and the pieces that make it up. They'll learn music that makes them forget everything and music that makes them remember everything. They'll learn about passion and persistence. So many things can be learned just in a music class, and I'll be able to see it all happen. I think that'll make me one of the richest people on earth, even if it's just inside me.

Long story short, I don't care what people say about my future. If you have something negative to say about it, you're probably wrong. Instead of bashing people for their career choices, maybe encourage them instead.