4 Reasons You Shouldn't Go To Baylor University

Why Baylor might not be the place for you.

2916
Self

Pro Ecclesia, Pro Texana. That is Baylor University's motto, meaning "For Church, For Texas." When I first set foot on Baylor's campus a number of years ago, it became very clear that, on the surface, they very much embodied this motto. Now that I have been able to be a student here for two years, I also know the degree to the university practices what it preaches. So, to the students and parents who have been watching the media storm surrounding my university, here are some reasons why you should not go to Baylor University.

If you don't like having an extended family, do not go to Baylor University. Professors here are more than just teachers, they also serve as mentors and friends who will always go out of their way to make sure every student in their class gets what they need to graduate. The environment at Baylor is not like that of a large public school, but it is also not like a small private school. Baylor's atmosphere is unique to itself in that it's large enough to make one feel like they really are away from home, but small enough so that the people you see in class and on campus are more than just faces, they are family.

If you don't like small classes, do not go to Baylor University. Large classes may seem like a great Hollywood depiction of college, but the reality is that large classes can rob students of incredibly valuable relationships with their professors, not just the TA. Office hours at Baylor are actual office hours with the professor, not a TA or an awkward 10 person meeting. With a student to faculty ratio of 15:1 and an average undergraduate class size of 27, you can be sure that the professors at Baylor will not only know your name but will actually be able to personally help you with anything you need help with, academic or not.

If you don't want to live near the most gorgeous campus in the state, do not go to Baylor University. Whether it be Fountain Mall, the Armstrong Browning Library, McLane Stadium, or Burleson Quad, there isn't an ugly corner of Baylor's campus. Not to mention, Cameron Park lies just 5 minutes away from campus and is the second largest municipal park in the United States, and arguably one of the prettiest. We care so much about our campus that we even water our sidewalks.

If you don't like having an education centered on God, do not go to Baylor University. Yes, you will have to go to Chapel for two semesters and listen to all of the incredible guest speakers and artists, and be present. Yes, professors will pray over your class before tests and over you in private if you need it. This does not mean that your faith (or lack thereof) will not be questioned. I have come closer to God as a result of my time here at Baylor moreso than anywhere else, and my faith in him continues to grow each passing day. The Lord has blessed this university with incredible teachers and students who care about applying faith to their education as much as they care about each other.

I came to Baylor because I felt at home, and I could see God's visible impact on young people's lives here. If I had to do it all over again, knowing everything that I do now, I would come right back here to Waco. I love having a home away from home, and I absolutely love how involved this University is with my personal and academic well being. If you come to Baylor, you will not be lost, you will not be alone, and God will do incredible things in you during your time here.