Why You Should Go To Firefly Music Festival 2017

Let's just say I already bought my tickets...

51
Delaware Public

Everybody knows about Coachella, Bonnaroo and Lollapalooza, but what about Firefly? In recent years, the up and coming music festival located in Dover, Delaware, has been on the rise as one of the top music festivals in the country, and with good reason. With past lineups including Paul McCartney, Mumford & Sons, Kings of Leon, The Killers, Hozier, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Black Keys and many more, it's no surprise that this year's lineup is any different. With returning favorites like Twenty-One Pilots and Empire of the Sun, as well as some newcomers guaranteed to shake things up a little, this year's Firefly Festival is definitely not one to miss. Here's a little sneak peak as to why you should come down to Dover too...

The Headliners

The Weeknd

These past two years The Weeknd has been dominating the music industry. In 2015 he topped the Billboard 200 with "Beauty Behind the Madness," and 2016 was no different with his latest album release "Starboy." Personally, the Weeknd is one of the most exciting artists announced and he is definitely not one to miss.

Muse

This rock band from the UK have been around the music scene for awhile now, but this is their first time being at Firefly, let alone headlining. If any of you Twilight lovers remember, their super successful song "Supermassive Black Hole" was playing during the baseball scene, and if I'm being honest, ever since I've been obsessed. Other songs of theirs include "Uprising," "Knights of Cydonia," and my personal favorite "Panic Station."

Twenty-One Pilots

Unless you live under a rock, you would know who Twenty-One Pilots is. This dynamic duo comprised of Josh Dunn and Tyler Joseph have been straight KILLING it this year with their most recent album titled "Blurryface." I myself have been a long time fan and have seen them many times, but no matter how many times it's been, each time I see them, their live performance gets better and better. Even if you're not a fan, this band is definitely one to see.

Chance the Rapper

If you have been to any college bar or just really any college dorm, you will definitely hear "No Problem" at least five times you go. Besides collaborating with the likes of Kanye West, Childish Gambino, and many many more, Chance has definitely created a name for himself, and people have noticed. With his most recent mixtape "Coloring Book," Chance has now reached international stardom and has even received three Grammy nominations, which are all well deserved.

Bob Dylan

The father of folk himself is making his way down to Dover, and I could not be more thrilled. Bob Dylan alone is reason enough to go to Firefly, mostly because he has created so many beautiful and amazing songs, but also just because he's downright awesome. I'll always have a soft spot for this man and finally getting to see him is one of the best feelings ever.

Nostalgic Favorites

Weezer

If you, like myself, are an alternative music junkie, you also worship the ground Rivers Cuomo stands on. "Buddy Holly" is most definitely without a doubt one of the best songs to come out of the 2000s, and if you disagree, you can straight up fight me.

The Shins

I have been a long time lover of The Shins, and when they went on a hiatus and James Mercer went to work on his side project, The Broken Bells, my heart broke a little [not fully, only because The Broken Bells are bomb as hell (thank you, James, you musical genius)]. HOWEVER, they are back and better than ever with their most recent single "Name For You" from their upcoming album "Heartworms." Finally I will be able to see "Australia" performed live (hopefully).

Kesha

Everybody and everyone knows who Kesha is. Formally known as Ke$ha and most known for her break through song "Tik Tok," Kesha has created so many great songs throughout her years in the music industry and is sure to make her mark this year at Firefly.

AFI

If you are a former emo kid like myself, "Miss Murder" was considered an anthem for you. Even if you weren't and emo kid, AFI is a brilliant rock band and definitely worth a listen to.

30 Seconds To Mars

Jared Leto, need I say more? Just kidding... but not really. Besides having Jared Leto, this rock band has created some great songs, including some of my favorite of all time.

T-Pain

I don't even really think I have to explain this one, but I know you love T-Pain because everyone loves T-pain, and if you say they don't, you're lying.

Newbies

Dillon Francis

Ever since I heard "Love in the Middle of a Firefight" ft. the love of my life, Brendon Urie, I have been hooked on Dillon Francis and have been DYING to see him live. Even though I'm not extremely into electronic music, I'd say my music taste is still very diverse, especially compared to others, but something about Dillon keeps me coming back for more. His music is so catchy and fun, and I cannot wait to hear all of my favorites live.

Glass Animals

This band, I swear to god, is one of the best new bands to have come into my life. The way they make their songs indie rock yet also psychedelic mixed with a tad bit of R+B is something so amazing that it's kind of hard to explain, so just listen to them and fall in love like I did. Trust me on this one, you'll be obsessed by the second song.

Lil' Dicky

Ever since coming to college I have not been able to stop listening to Lil' Dicky, and I have my friends to thank for this one. His rap style is unlike any I've heard before, mostly due to the amount of humor put into it. For reference, give "Lemme Freak" a quick listen and if you don't laugh at least twice, I really don't know what's wrong with you. Not only is the content great, but the actual flow and instrumental of the song is great as well, which makes him one of my top five artists to see.

Judah and the Lion

This folk-pop group is something I am so glad my local alternative radio station played when it did. Here I was on my way to work and they start playing "Take It All Back" and ever since I can't stop listening. I have always loved folk music, but they make folk sound modern and more appealing to other people, really giving it a different twist that I believe a lot of people will enjoy. Big things are on the way for this band, and I can't wait to see where it takes them.