8. The bujo community is amazing. | The Odyssey Online

10 Reasons You Should Use A Bullet Journal And How To Organize One

Bullet journals hold so much information and the best part is you have all the control.

71

I first began bullet journaling at the tail end of 2016 as a challenge to myself. I always bought planners with the intention of using them, but would end up just carrying it around after a few months. Since picking it up, there hasn't been a day where I don't use it.

1. Bullet journals are for everyone.

Rebecca Washington

Seriously, anyone can pick up a journal and run with it. It's all about how serious you are about it!

2. There's no right or wrong way to make your journal.

Rebecca Washington

When you're first starting your journal, it can be super overwhelming. Every seems to have theirs together, the systems they use may not make sense; where should you even start? The answer is, of course, however you'd like. If you find a specific layout doesn't work for you, you can always change it!

3. You don't have to be artistic to have one.

Rebecca Washington

Sure, some people get super invested in their spreads, but don't sweat it! This journal is for you, fill it out as you see fit. If you're feeling artsy, you can doodle on the pages or make use of some decorative washi tape.

4. You can keep track of anything you want.

Rebecca Washington

The limits are what you set yourself. People track water intake, no spend days, how many hours they sleep... The list goes on.

5. There are a bunch of resources available for you.

Not sure how to set a spread up, or what spreads you want to include to begin with? There's no problem there. A simple search of #bujospreads will give you hundreds of results in seconds. Let your own creativeness shine, and maybe you'll be someone else's inspiration!

6. You will be more organized.

Things may seem a little all over the place when you first start journalling, but you'll be pleasantly surprised to see how efficient you can be with a bullet journal.

7. You don't need to invest in expensive materials.

Rebecca Washington

There's a big misconception about needing high end products in order for your journal to look nice, but that is not the case in the slightest. The same pencils, pens, and highlighters you use everyday will bring your journal to life.

8. The bujo community is amazing.

https://www.instagram.com/mistralspirit/

I've looked to other bullet journalists for inspiration on countless occasions. One of the most influential in my own journaling journey is Ioana, aka Mistral Spirit. She documents her bullet journal on instagram as well as YouTube, and she is super fun and personable!

9. You'll be able to manage your time and avoid overextending yourself.

Let's face it: everyone is, has, or will be guilty of overextending themselves at some point in time. While using your journal, you become more conscious of the time you have to put towards things aside from school and work. It's also a good reminder of when you should focus more on homework!

10. You get the satisfaction of filling in an entire notebook.

Rebecca Washington

It's not often that you get to look back on an entire chunk of memories, deadlines, and jokes from your past. When you do, however, the feeling is one you want to make last.