6 Reasons Why I Work 2 Jobs In College

6 Reasons Why I Work 2 Jobs In College

Is it possible while also being a full-time student?

12276
6 Reasons Why I Work 2 Jobs In College
WorkItMom.com

I got my first job when I was 19 years old. That was pretty late in the game compared to my friends who started working part-time jobs when they were 16 or 17. My summer job was at a frozen yogurt shop and as far as firsts go, it wasn’t so bad. I worked every other day and my tasks weren’t incredibly difficult. But, once the summer ended, so did my first job. My next few were only for the summer and the seasonal holiday, but I always stuck with one.

My senior year of college, the opportunity of having two jobs at once presented itself to me. I was, and still am, a full-time student, so I was a little worried at first if I would even have the time to work both, as well as focus on obtaining high grades. I then started a few internships, bumping my busy schedule up even higher. But I went for it, knowing that I could either excel or fail. I could either rise or fall. And so far, third quarter now, I’d say I’m still rising. Here's why I do it:

1. Work experience.

This one is a no-brainer. From having two jobs, I have been able to boost my work experience and have been able to really create a full resume. Each day and each shift is filled with moments to learn and improve as an employee. I have learned how to communicate effectively with my coworkers and maintain professionalism in a workplace. Being able to have so much work experience and so many different skills will only be beneficial in the long run.

2. Keepin' it organized.

From working two jobs, I have learned how to organize myself better. I need to know what day I have what shift and what time I will be busy. If I don’t, I could miss a shift or double book myself. My planner has become one of my most valuable possessions because scribbled throughout are my shifts for both jobs as well as when all my homework is due.

3. Time management.

I have also learned how to manage my time better. I will say, time management has not always been a strength of mine and now I have two opportunities to constantly work to improve that weakness of mine. Each shift I have, I have to accomplish all the tasks in a timely fashion, effectively and efficiently. Both of my jobs have helped me become a better employee, which I know will only be beneficial later on when I’m looking for a career.

4. The friendships.

I have met some amazing people at both of my jobs. Both have opened up new friendships for me that have been so important to me in my last year of college. These people go through the highs and lows of work with me, always there to lend a helping hand. If I didn’t have both of the jobs I do, then I would be missing out on getting to know some really great people.

5. Payin' my own bills.

Don’t get me wrong, my parents definitely help me out in many different areas of my financial life, but working two jobs allows me to have two incomes. I am able to pay for certain bills all on my own and I love that. I love being able to say that I am helping myself out in some way and that I work hard for the money that I earn. Plus, a few extra bucks in the pocket for spending money isn’t so bad.

6. After graduation.

I feel I am truly preparing myself for my future. After I graduate from college, I will be striving for a full-time job where I can put my above-minimum-wage-worthy skills to good use. A full-time job will present me with challenges all the time, and from working both jobs, I have the skills that will allow me to face those challenges head on. I know how it feels to work eight-hour days and how to communicate effectively with coworkers. Working two jobs has given me plenty of experience that I can add to my resume, and that has made me a better worker and person.

Working two jobs is hard, but it certainly has its benefits.