Why We Need More Awareness about Plastic Pollution Than We Already Do
Lifestyles

95% of the plastic that has been made still resides in our environment today, and there is a possibility that by 2050, there will be more plastic in the world's ocean than its marine life.

17

100 years ago, when the world's first ever synthetic plastic was showcased, a newspaper article had deemed this magic material to eventually take over the world. What it meant was that it would one day be the material that would make up all of the things we touch, see, hear, and use. Scarily, that prediction seems to become truer and truer by the day. In fact, the majority of the inventions of the modern day involve plastic in one form or the other.

Of course, the benefits that plastic brings with itself are inevitable. They are cheap, lightweight, easy to make, and last fairly long. They can be used in more ways than one and also keep our food fresh for days. It is suffice to say that the one thing that makes plastic so revolutionary is also what makes it so toxic. Plastic has slowly sneaked its way into the food that we eat, the water we drink, and the environment we live in. It has even become an integral part of the elements that might as well save our lives: medicines. Plastic slowly makes its way into our stomachs, lungs, and blood. It is only now that the harmful impact of the material has come into the spotlight.

As of now, we have produced up to 9 billion tons of plastic, of which one-third is of single use. For example, the straw we use to sip our drink will be used for 20 minutes, tops. There are similar things made of this eternal material that only last a short while, and then eternally live on to pose a threat to our existence, not to mention, a threat to this world.

This is a belief that model, actress, and activist, Adrianne Elizabeth White, also firmly believes in. As an ambassador of The Plastic Pollution Coalition, and the Victoria's Secret and True Religion model believes that our unawareness of the plastic pollution of today is what could easily lead to our demise if we don't take active steps to curb it.

It is true that 95% of the plastic that has been made still resides in our environment today, and there is a possibility that by 2050, there will be more plastic in the world's ocean than its marine life. The plethora of pictures exposing oceans covered with plastic is enough to raise the awareness that you need.

White, who has grown up with farm animals, feels immense remorse for the marine life that is currently in high levels of dangers, thanks to our plastic disposing practices. It is imperative not to ignore the calls of many activists alongside White, who are calling for us to gain consciousness and take conscious steps to prevent plastic consumption.