Why I Want To Be Todd From Wedding Crashers

Shut your mouth when you're talking to me.

657
YouTube

Let's crash some weddings. Shotgun pellets in Vince Vaughn's butt, Christopher Walken smoking a stogie with Owen Wilson, and how could we forget Todd?

Todd first appears in this movie screaming at the water. His father, Christopher Walken follows up with half-hearted support.

When I first saw this movie in middle school, I thought I would never be like Todd. I thought Todd was hilarious. He was the the comedic ace in the hole. However, he now holds a special place in my heart.

Todd is fighting against a current of sailing and big politics. He doesn't know how to fit into his father's life. In a dinner table conversation, Christopher Walken explains that most of his voters would "sympathize with their situation."

Cue Todd and grandma.

Homophobia just doesn't fly in any of the circles I run in. One of the best days of my summer was when my family squeezed through Fifth Avenue. We climbed up scaffolding and painted ourselves in color to support the Pride Parade.

I love the fact that most of the people I associate with don't accept homophobia. A lot of my friends are gay. It's awesome.

However, the grandma's comment leads to feelings of shame and suicide. What I have noticed, though, is that we are at each other's throats all too often.

In a world where we are trying to be increasingly accepting of each other, we have lost the ability to see inside ourselves. At every turn, there is a way to offend another group, to lose yourself in a sea of politically correct opinions.

What I think is right, might not be what you think is right. And what Todd thinks is right is different from what his grandma thinks is right. I stumble on this predicament all the time. In a world where we are trying to perform well, what happens when we do something wrong? What happens when we say something that offends someone? What happens when we fail?

That's what happens when we fail. Anger. We rip at each other's throats and hope that it changes things. Find peace, it's worth it. Although don't get me wrong, I love this woman. I quote her all the time.

One day, we are all going to fail. One day, we are all going to be wrong. Whatever belief system you have about what should be right in this world, is different than mine. If you want to be accepting and living without prejudice, then start with yourself. Drop the aegis of power and might, and swim in the aegis of love. The water is warm.

There is no correct way of living. Regulations stifle what it means for us to be human. We have flaws. We are offensive. We hurt each other all the time. Kindness is important. But kindness is not conformity. Rebel, take a breath of fresh air, piss someone off. Do you feel your heart beating? Thank you. That's how you know you're alive.

Those little bumps and bruises are the things that create great works of art and conversations.

There were two articles in the New York Times Sunday edition about creativity. The first one, "How to Raise A Creative Child. Step One: Back Off" by Adam Grant, explained how to raise creative children through fewer rules, encouraging curiosity and play.

The other, "Everybody is a Critic. And That's How It Should Be." by A.O. Scott, explained how everyone is an artist. Through freedom of expression, we create a playful life. Let yourself be wooed by the things that make your eyes grow wide.

Back to "Wedding Crashers."

Todd swims in his own creative water. Todd is different from his conservative family. They have to work to understand each other. While Todd secretly paints pictures for Vince Vaughn, his family is out hunting or sailing. Todd has a hard time belonging in that family.

But does that make Todd any less of a person? Does that mean Todd should not be living? Does that mean because his father doesn't have the same dream as him, he should squash those dreams and become a politician?

Some people think that to be true. From the suicide in "Spring Awakening" to the suicide in "Dead Poet's Society,"exterior pressure leads to a feeling of worthlessness. In the December issue of "The Atlantic," the cover story was entitled "The Silicon Valley Suicides" by Hanna Rosin. Her extensive article details the suicide clusters in Palo Alto, evidence of an overachieving race to the bottom.

In my hometown, there are organizations trying to figure out how to alleviate the drug and alcohol mortality problems around me. Programs like D.A.R.E promote ineffective fear tactics and claim success on little or no research. We as a culture, squash creativity and promote progress more than anything. Scare the shit out of them. They'll color inside the lines.

We love to ask ourselves where do see ourselves in 10 years. I just pulled this off some "inspirational" blog.

I want to scream at this picture, where are you going tomorrow? There is fun to be had today. We have to stop running from the fear of failure and embrace the parts of ourselves that aren't so clean and shiny.

I used to think, creativity exists on the outskirts of our society. It is a place only the brave can go. The people who are "gifted". The arts aren't a way to make money. They are for "those" people.

But listen close, 'cus I am joining the likes of Todd. Productivity, self doubt and competition have led me to a ferocious attack on myself where I have had millions of suicidal thoughts rip through my mind. Peace out.

Todd and I are going to be over here, painting.