Why Voting This November Is Essential
Politics

Why Voting This November Is Essential

Despite how uncertain the 2016 election has left voters, it is important to remember why voting is so crucial.

13
Why Voting This November Is Essential
Social Media Today

On November 8, 2016, the 45th president of the United States will be elected.

The 2016 campaign has certainly been a wild ride. For many, this has been the most baffling, unpredictable election they can remember.

This year, presidential advertisements have hit every social media platform and impacted all ages. Social media is being used as the ultimate weapon for candidates. As a result, it is not shocking that propaganda has reached a new level of intensity, making undecided voters even more uncertain. Despite how overwhelming this election is, it is important for America to remember why voting is important.

1. This is your voice

Let your voice be heard! With the presidential election right around the corner, Americans need to remember to vote because it is the only way to have their voice heard.

Additionally, a higher turnout of voters allows our democracy to be more representative of the population. By selecting the representative of our choice, voting is the best way to support the issues we care about most and to hold candidates accountable for the promises they make.

2. Voting is a privilege

Generation after generation struggled while fighting to gain the right to vote, do not take it for granted. In fact, this is a right that people in many other countries are still fighting for.

People should vote because it is their duty as Americans to take part in our democracy. Our nation is where modern democracy was born and voting is the basis of that democracy.

3. Voters will decide on more than just the president

State and local political candidates are on the ballot as well. The local elections involve issues that are likely to directly effect you, such as discrimination laws or reproductive rights.

There are many other measures that vary state to state that will be included on each ballot. Some measures certified for the 2016 ballots include gun control, minimum wage, legalization of medical marijuana, and universal healthcare.

4. The president directly impacts the Supreme Court

When a seat on the Supreme Court becomes available, due to retirement, resignation, or death of a Justice, the president has the power to appoint a new Justice to fill the empty seat. Throughout the next four years, several seats on the Supreme Court could become available and by appointing either conservative or liberal Justices, the next president will influence how the Supreme Court rules on important legal decisions for years to come.