Why Trump Is Not Just Bad For Women | The Odyssey Online

Why Trump Is Not Just Bad For Women

The hidden dangers of Trump in power

23
Why Trump Is Not Just Bad For Women
Quartz.com

In the days since Donald Trump’s newest scandal surfaced, there has been much pain and confusion felt by people across the nation. While many women have publicly criticized the presidential candidate for his crass and explicit description of the sexual assault of a woman, the number of men condemning Trump’s comments seems to be few and far between.

Though it seems that women are the ones being most hurt by Trump’s thoughtless words, that is simply not true. We, as women, will recover from this. This is our reality. We wake up every day in a world where we are continually told that we are objects. We are raised to believe that our worth is based upon our looks alone. Though these comments are hurtful, heartbreaking and extremely hard to listen to, they do not surprise us. If we, as women, are secure in our true identities, we will survive and live to fight another day.

The people who are really being hurt by Trump’s comments are the men of this country. As a presidential candidate, Trump is put on a pedestal. A position normally reserved for people with exceptional character and political careers, he has reduced the office to a locker room. Maybe he never asked to be a role model. Maybe he never realized he would become an example to many young people who want to know what it’s like to be successful. Maybe he never thought that anyone would hear that tape and blast his words for all to hear, but they did and he is responsible for the fallout.

There are parents all over the country who have to explain Trump’s comments to their daughters. They are struggling to find the words to assure their girls that no man will ever treat them like that. They are grieving over the fact that their daughters are beginning to understand the kind of world they live in.

But there are also parents who have to explain Trump’s words to their sons. There are boys growing up believing that this kind of talk is normal. Boys who now think that if they just get famous enough, or catch a woman off guard; they can do anything they want to her.

Trump is bad for women because he continually disrespects them. Trump is worse for men because he is setting an example of leadership that says this kind of thing is okay.

Let me say this, I believe in grace. I believe that people can change and I believe in second chances. I am very willing to accept Donald Trump’s apology for his words, but just because someone has said they are sorry, does not mean they should be allowed to hold the highest office in our nation.

Furthermore, there are many people who believe that if we compare Trump’s offenses to those committed by the other candidate; they will somehow seem less bad. We can compare sins, scandals and mistakes all day long but that does not change what they are. Lying is lying, assault is assault and no matter what the other candidate has done, Trump’s words cannot be condoned in any circle.

I do not sit on a high horse looking down over Donald Trump and judging him for his sins. I am no better than him. I am a fallen human being who also makes mistakes and messes up. But I am also a survivor of a sexual assault. I live with the consequences of my attackers actions daily, and the thought of having a president who in any way, at any point has condoned this kind of behavior makes me physically sick.

I will not be voting for Donald Trump come November because I want better things for the woman and men of this nation. I believe in a future where women are respected because they are human beings and not because they are someone’s mother or sister. I am hopeful for a world filled with men who stand up and condemn this kind of talk.

I know there are quality men in this world, and I will not allow my country to be represented by someone who makes me doubt that for even a second.