Why the Philadelphia Eagles Will Win Super Bowl LVII

Intro

18

I

The Philadelphia Eagles have reached the Super Bowl for the fourth time in their history and the first time since receiving a championship ring in 2017. The Philadelphia Eagles take on the Kansas City Chiefs at the State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Arizona, on February 12, as narrow favorites to win Super Bowl LVII. Here’s why backing the Philadelphia Eagles to win is the best bet on Super Bowl LVII you can make.

The 2017 Philadelphia Eagles team that won Super Bowl LII was revered, but the 2022 Eagles roster is even better. A 14-3 regular season record was followed by emphatic victories in the playoffs, a 38-7 dismantling of the New York Giants, and a 31-7 one-sided affair against the much-fancied San Francisco 49ers. Indeed, the Philadelphia Eagles are 16-1 with quarterback Jalen Hurts under the center.

Jalen Hurts Could Be the Super Bowl MVP

Image courtesy of www.allproreels.com

Hurts has been superb in what is his third season as a professional. He guided his side to a 16-1 record with him starting and threw a career-best 3,701 yards and 22 touchdowns despite recovering from an injured shoulder. In addition, Hurts only threw six touchdowns (eight if you count the playoffs).

It is not only Hurts’ top-tier passing game that the Kansas City Chiefs need to be wary of because he is deadly carrying the ball. Hurts put up 760 yards and 13 touchdowns during the regular season, beating some running backs in terms of yardage and scoring! Many football fans rightly sing the praises of the Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, but Hurts is a supreme talent and could be the Super Bowl MVP.

A.J. Brown and DeVonta Smith are the go-to receivers for Hurts, two players that are explosive and are difficult to stop advancing up the field. Then you have the Philadelphia Eagles’ rushing attack, which racked up 416 yards on 88 carries in the team’s two playoff games. Miles Sanders and Kenneth Gainwell are averaging 4.7 yards and 6.2 yards per carry in the playoffs.

Defenses Win You Football Games

While offensive players receive more attention than their defensive counterparts, this Philadelphia Eagles defense is superb, particularly in passing defense. The Philadelphia Eagles led the league in terms of passer rating allowed and yards allowed per pass, and were in the top two in total yards allowed. That spells bad news for the Kansas City Chiefs, who often rely on the laser-guided throwing arm of Mahomes to see them through games.

Mahomes is carrying an ankle injury, which, to be fair, he seems to be managing well. However, the Philadelphia Eagles are number one in sacks, with 78 in the 19 games they’ve played, and became the first team in NFL history to have four players generating 12 or more sacks in a single season. Haason Reddick has 19.5 sacks to himself! It is all but guaranteed that Mahomes will be sacked several times during the Super Bowl, and it makes one wonder how his injured ankle will fair with being bundled to the ground by the giants in the Philadelphia Eagles’ defensive unit.

Is There a Case for the Kansas City Chiefs?

Although the Philadephia Eagles are the favorites to win the Super Bowl, and while most experts predict it will be relatively one-way traffic in Arizona, it would be stupid to completely write off the Kansas City Chiefs’ chances. Even carrying an injury, Mahomes is an elite-level quarterback that can pull some magic out of the hat.

Sure, he needs to release the ball quicker than he would ordinarily like, but he has the ability to do so. Mahomes was excellent in the 23-20 AFC Championship victory over last year’s losing finalists, the Cincinnati Bengals, and will have had two weeks' rest in the run-up to the Super Bowl.

Travis Kelce is the best tight end in the league and will want to have the game of his life because his brother, Jason Kelce, is the center for the Philadelphia Eagles! The Chiefs’ Kelce leads his team with 21 receptions for 176 yards during the playoffs and will be the go-to guy for Mahomes. The Mahomes-Kelce combination is deadly and something the Philadelphia Eagles cannot afford to underestimate.