Why Semele Is Actually A Disney Princess | The Odyssey Online

Why Semele Is Actually A Disney Princess

Seme- who now?

268
Greekmythlogy.com

Hans Christian Anderson can be credited with a good number of the Disney classics we've come to know and love today (Little Mermaid's Ariel, Cinderella). His tales often had extremely sad endings and fatal scenarios. The story of Semele feels oddly similar and familiar to that of a Disney princess as told by Hans Christian Anderson. You might be going, "Who the heck is Semele?" at this moment. Well, this is Semele:

Does that ring a bell? Probably not. For those who may not know who this lovely lady is, I'll give a brief history on her story. Now this is all Greek mythology so, feel free to look up some more on this. Semele was a young princess- I'm guessing she was, say, 17-19 years old. Probably very attractive (aren't they always) and as stubborn as a mule. I'm not going to tell the whole tale word for word, but long story short, she was in the wrong place at the wrong time, doing what she wasn't supposed to do (as a true Disney princess would).

1. She was born a princess.

Very similar to a lot of Disney Princesses, like Princess Aurora, Snow White, Ariel, she was born a princess to King Cadmus and Queen Harmonia. She and Aurora have that in common, her parents were still alive at the time of her story. However, most other Disney princesses either had a single parent (mostly a father) or no parents at all.

2. She is of the appropriate age.

I'm guessing this is one of the reasons most Disney princesses were stubborn and defiant, they were still teenagers or young adults at most. I haven't found any mention of her age but let's say she is 18 years old, that fits right into the Disney princess criteria. They are young, wild and incredibly rebellious (think Ariel, Pocahontas and Rapunzel).

3. She was beautiful.

This might be an extremely vain and unnecessary factor, but Disney has a thing for beautiful princesses. Seeing as how it was Semele's beauty that attracted Zeus in the first place. (BTW, the picture above is not one of Semele).

4. She defied orders.

Her downfall- and the reason she has a story- all starts when she goes against her father's orders and leaves the castle unguarded and in disguise. Now this is where I find fault with her, she leaves the comfort of the castle, not to explore the kingdom, but to wash her clothes (which aren't even hers because she's in disguise) down by the river. Oh Semele, smh you just had to leave the palace didn't you.

5. She was tricked by a wicked witch... sort of.

Hera isn't technically a witch. She is actually Zeus's wife (and sister) but I think that's enough to play the part of the villain in this situation. Hera was jealous of Zeus's relationship with Semele and appeared to her, tricking the young, naive princess into making Zeus appear to her in his true form while they are "clapping" (that's how my professor describes the chilling part of Netflix and Chills). Anyone who is familiar with Greek mythology would know that if a God appeared to a mortal in his/her true form, he/she would spontaneously combust. I don't know how that passed by Semele.

6. She had a tragic end... I mean, REALLY tragic.

Contrary to the child safe movies that most people are familiar with, Disney princesses actually have horrible, gruesome endings (http://www.dorkly.com/post/65865/the-real-stories-behind-disney-movies). Much like Ariel's sad ending- she doesn't get the prince, she dies and turns into a sea of foam... tragic. Semele died while she was "clapping" with Zeus, in his true form. She burst into flames while both conceiving and giving birth to their son, Dionysus. That must have been a very busy day for her.

Even though she bears so many similarities to some Disney princesses, I highly doubt she will be made one anytime soon. I'm still holding out hope.