Why Self-Care Is Important For Your Mental Health

There's nothing wrong with putting yourself first. Ever.

47
flickr

Mental health is a part of every single person on this Earth.

It does not matter whether someone has been diagnosed with an illness or not, we all have a mental state of being to take care of. Sometimes we can't control what our mind does, what it thinks or how it responds to the world around us. The brain is a powerful organ that is capable of more things than anyone on this planet can truly understand. Our mind gets into these places that can be hard to get out of, and we have to take time for ourselves. People have to practice self-care in order to keep a positive well-being. Saying that self-care is selfish, unnecessary and weak disregards people's emotions and feelings in a severe manner.

I developed anxiety and depression when I was in high school, when is unclear to me, and it has grew further as I got into college. I didn't learn how important self-care to my mind, my spirit, body or emotional well-being was until I had those severe mental breakdowns. The first part of self-care is realizing that you are allowed to put yourself first. You have the choice to express your emotions as you see fit in order to benefit yourself. The second part of self-care is realizing that you don't need anyone's permission to practice self-care. It is no one's business what you choose to do with your time and how you want to take care of yourself.

Mental health has become absolutely important to me because we have to feel emotions as individuals. Even those who push their emotions aside still feel the emotion to decide to do that. It seems like we don't make time for ourselves nowadays. We can't enjoy our own presence without fearing that we won't be able to survive without 24-hour contact with another human being. Some people do need to be around other people and others don't. Self care is all about taking a moment or moments to yourself and checking in with yourself. Are you OK? Are you stable? Do you a clear mind? Have you done something for yourself?

I believe that people discover what self-care entails in college when we aren't surrounded by people all the time, more stress on our hands, 15 activities going on at the same time, being away from home and worrying about the future. This is the time in our lives where we are expected to do so much when we physically or mentally cannot handle it. We all have a breaking point.

Self-care doesn't haven't to be elaborate or expensive, in fact; it doesn't even have to cost you money or require you to go to the outside world. Sitting inside reading a book, watching a show on Netflix, sitting on your couch cuddling your pet, playing "Candy Crush" or focusing your energy on your body. Self-care is your time to do whatever you want to help your mind relax and take a break.

We all need time to ourselves and to take care of ourselves. If you want to sleep until noon, go for it. You want to eat that extra donut? I will not stop you. Do you want run that extra three miles to get your mind off a bad test grade? More power to you!

Do not let anyone tell you that you don't deserve a healthy mindset or well-being. It's your life, not someone else's..