Why One Class Doesn't Define Your Character

Sorry, I am worth more than a letter grade.

16

College. The best 4 years of your life they say. However, with fun, comes responsibility such as your classes. Each class has some weight into the little white paper you receive on Graduation day, every class somehow matters to the college you’re attending. Often you will find students spending endless hours at the library, busting their butts just to walk out with a C. You will find students who dedicate all of their time behind a computer screen attempting to regurgitate or learn endless information. One of those students would be myself, as the main reason we come to college is to learn.

Only spending one year at school, I can honestly say I’ve learned some valuable lessons; don’t forget to put water in your mac and cheese as it will blow up, always remember to call your mom at least 3 times a week, and that your grades don’t define who you are as a person. My first semester at UNH I felt as if I signed myself up for a death trap as everything I was learning in certain classes felt like a foreign language to me. Maybe it was just the Out-Of-State Education but I wasn’t understanding a single thing. I ended up figuring out how each class functioned, managing to get a B or higher in my classes the first year.

Sophomore year, another year but even harder. I picked all of my required classes for my major along with a Music class as my discovery. 4 Classes. That’s all I have. It is currently in the middle of the semester, and I am not doing so well. I am taking a very challenging class that requires the ability to memorize information and to apply it with math skills, two things I struggle in. I ended up spending my time focusing on this challenging class, forgetting about my other 3 classes that equally mattered. When my first test came back for the challenging class, I was more than disappointed, I thought there might have been a mix-up. I couldn’t believe I got that grade. I started falling behind in my other classes, struggling with them as well. I eventually found that I need to put my all into each and every class. I can’t focus on one class and forget about the others. However, I also learned more about myself.

I learned I am capable of a lot more than I thought. Managing school, a job, a boyfriend, a new sorority, exec board for ski and board, family and friends, I was doing pretty well for myself. I found that I was more than the letter grade I saw on a screen, as it didn’t define myself. I am a loud, energetic individual who loves so many different things in this world. I am a young girl who is heavily involved in my college experience. My mom once said “ Give it your best, that’s all I can ask from you” and that’s exactly what I plan to do.