Why Makeup Shaming Needs To Stop | The Odyssey Online

Why Makeup Shaming Needs To Stop

Stop judging me for what I do, or don't, put on my face.

193
Why Makeup Shaming Needs To Stop
cakedinmakeup.com

Shaming someone for how much makeup they wear needs to stop. Shaming someone if they don't wear any makeup at all needs to stop. Shaming someone for wearing a certain type of makeup needs to stop.

The point is, all judgement and shaming regarding someone's makeup choices need to stop.

Ever since I was old enough to know what makeup was, I watched my mother (who is also my No. 1 best friend, hero and role model in every aspect of life) put on her full face of makeup every single day. I could not wait until the day that I could wear makeup every day of my life.

Once that day finally came, I was ecstatic. Over the years, I have figured out what looks good on my face and when. What type to wear with what time of day it is, the lighting I will be in, and the clothes I am wearing. I even went through phases growing up where I wore styles of makeup that were not the most flattering (see: raccoon eye eyeliner phase, omg, I know).

But one of the things I have always heard growing up while wearing makeup, all throughout junior high and high school and even into my college years, was, "Why do you wear makeup every day" or "I don't know why you put on makeup every single day." Here's the thing: it's none of your business. If I want to wear a full face of makeup every single day, then I'm going to wear a full face of makeup every single day. "You know that's not good for your skin." I thank the good Lord above every day for blessing me with good skin, I don't get bad acne, and I am sorry if you do. Wearing makeup every day hasn't made my skin bad and for that I am blessed and able to wear makeup all the time.

For those of you who don't wear makeup, then that is totally OK. That is your decision and it's not my place or anyone else's to judge you for it. If someone has something to say about you not wearing makeup then they can shove it. It's your face, you can put whatever you want on it, or nothing it all.

If I want to wear heavy eyeliner, then I will. If I want to wear makeup to the beach, then whose place is it to say that's stupid? If I wear makeup to go swimming, then it's my problem to deal with the black streaks down my face. If I want to wake up an extra 20 or 30 minutes earlier than I have to every day so that I can put on a full face of makeup, then that's my problem, not yours.

It's my face, and while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I am also entitled to mine. And that opinion is that I want to wear make up, however much that may be, whenever I choose to. I don't wear it to impress people, I don't wear it because I think I'm ugly and need to cover it up, and I don't wear it for anyone else. I wear it because I want to. I don't need makeup to feel beautiful, and I don't wear it to make myself feel accepted. I wear it because I want to. It's as simple as that: because I want to. I shouldn't have to validate my reasons for putting something on my face.

Now if someone genuinely would like to ask me why I wear makeup, then the answer, "Because I like it and I want to" is most definitely good enough. But if someone is asking me about my choice of makeup to shame me? No no, that's not right.

So, if you want to wear drag queen makeup every single day, then you do you boo boo. And if you never want to wear a stitch of makeup ever again in your entire life, then good for you, too. Everyone's face is their own and they are entitled to do with it as they please. There's nothing wrong with being genuinely curious, but let's not shame others for their choice of makeup!