Why I Made Psychology My Life

Why I Made Psychology My Life

I'm already diagnosing you and you don't even know it

30
Why I Made Psychology My Life
clemson.edu

Psychology is the scientific study of the human mind and its functions, especially those affecting behavior in a given context. It fascinates me the way a human’s mind works. The fact that you can see whether a person is lying or not by the way they look at things or their body movement is fascinating. I never knew that you can really help a person struggling mentally by being a psychologist. I believe psychologists have a gift and that is the reason why I want to be one.

Many believe that psychology is tedious or uninteresting. But that’s not true, Psychology is a study that people who enjoy helping others should really look into. Choosing Psychology as a major was not my first choice, Criminal Justice was at the beginning of my senior year in high school. But then I took Psychology and it made me change my whole perspective on it. Growing up I always loved helping others and gave really good advice. The satisfaction I would get from friends or people I loved when they would tell me, “you’re right” or “I really didn’t think of it in that perspective, but thank you” would bring absolute joy to me. So when I started learning more about it senior year, that’s when I knew this is what I was going to major in.

I believe some great personality traits that I have to be a psychologist are that I'm outgoing, strong minded, and honest. Being outgoing is important because it will make people more comfortable to approach me and more at ease to talk to me without hesitation. A strong minded person is always positive and believes there is an answer to everything. An honest trait is extremely important for a psychologist because whether it’ll upset the patient or not, honesty is key to everything and is only earned once. Having these traits are special for my career in psychology and I am grateful to have them.

The skills that I have for my future in psychology are entertaining people, visualizing and motivating. Entertaining people is what I do best. Just simply putting a smile on a person’s face is a big reason why I was put on this earth. Making people laugh is what I enjoy and because of this, I know I can make any patient comfortable being with me. Visualizing is very important for a psychologist because you’ll be able to read whether a patient is nervous, lying, or anything that has to do with their emotions. Their sometimes afraid to express themselves so you visualizing and putting pieces to the puzzle together is important. Lastly, motivating is a beautiful skill because to make someone reach out and have a goal and successfully achieve it is special and important for a psychologist.

Every Psychology major student has values that make them believe is special for when they become a psychologist. The values that I pursue are exciting tasks, spirituality, and influencing people and their opinions. Doing exciting tasks shows a lot in your personality and how you like to accomplish things in your perspective. Performing exciting tasks with a patient will make them open up more and understand more on how they can help themselves. It’ll make a patient be more open minded and figure out healthier ways to tackle their difficulties. Everyone has their own spirituality and is important to them in some type of way. Having this as a value can help you understand others with their spirituality and how their beliefs make them view things. It’ll not only help you learn more about the spirituality, but also make you realize and understand more. Influencing people and their opinion are vital for Psychologists. It helps make a patient believe and comprehend more on what they want to follow. There are many different values all Psychologists have and that’s what makes them who they are and why they enjoy helping others.

As years have gone by and I am where I stand today, I learned that not only do I have a passion for Psychology but I also have a passion for children. I grew up babysitting kids and helping my stepmom when she would nanny her kids. Once I was 18 I started working at a day camp in the summer and I was put with the age group of 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds. After the eight weeks of camp, I saw a side of myself I had never seen before. I worked so well with kids and I would put my entire heart in making their summer the most memorable for them. Just making them smile (because I was the reason for it) would make my day and would make me look forward to coming back every day of the week. I finally found the answer to what I want to do for the rest of my life, I want to be a Child Psychologist or a School Psychologist. This has led me to be even more motivated for my future and that I will have a career that I will be happy pursuing. This summer I am currently working with 6th, 7th, and 8th-grade girls and I’m so happy I was because it gave me a chance to see how these age groups communicate with one another and what they think about on a daily basis. I have been so blessed to have the opportunity to see how different age groups interact and why they make some of the choices that they do. This is what I strive for and I know I will go through everything I need to do to be a child psychologist and no obstacle will stop me from pursuing my dream.

Psychology is the study of the mind and behavior. Those who succeed in this study and become any type of Psychologist are gifts that were sent down to this earth to help those struggling for peace. Psychology isn’t just a study; it is a passion, a passion that will push anyone forward to make a change in this world for the better. I am so thankful for seeing a side of myself I never knew about because of the study of Psychology.