Why My Life Is Beautiful (Even When It Isn't) | The Odyssey Online

Why My Life Is Beautiful (Even When It Isn't)

Every day is a gift.

13

It’s that time of the year.

The last few weeks of the semester are looming ahead of me, filled with research papers and projects and final exams. There is so much to do in so little time, and I have so little energy left after three long months of working and studying and hardly ever sleeping. I’m exhausted and stressed out, and I lost my motivation somewhere back around Spring Break. I know I’m supposed to summon up my last reserves of stamina and “finish strong,” but all I really want to do is quit.

When I’m feeling so worn down and frayed around the edges, it’s easy to slip into an attitude of discouragement and negativity toward my life. Phrases like “This week is the worst!” and “I just wish this semester were over!” are never far from my tongue. But this attitude isn’t okay. In fact, it’s the opposite of okay. My complaints reveal ingratitude for my life and a flippant dismissal of how blessed I truly am. I am so caught up in my worries and problems that I have lost sight of what really matters.

According to Shakespeare’s famous play King Lear (which I happen to be studying this semester), “The worst is not / So long as we can say, ‘This is the worst.’” In other words, things are never as bad as they may appear to us at first. Sometimes we just need to reevaluate our perspective.

What would happen if I slowed down and really thought about my life for a few minutes instead of mindlessly complaining about it? What if I counted my blessings?

I would discover that my life is overflowing with beauty and goodness on every level. From the grandiose to the miniscule, I have so many things to be thankful for.

My body and mind are healthy and whole. I have a family that loves me and a God that died for me. I am surrounded by genuine friends who offer me love and understanding on a daily basis. I never go hungry or thirsty, and every night I curl up in a clean, soft bed and fall sleep without fear.

I have eyes to witness springtime blossoming around me in its glory of pale pinks and vibrant greens, and I have a nose to smell the fragrance of its flowers. I have skin that soaks up the warmth of sunshine and delights in the whisper of a cool breeze. I have ears that wake up every morning to the sound of birds chirping outside my window.

The very fact that I can wake up every morning is itself enough to take my breath away. None of us are given the promise of awaking tomorrow, so each new day is a gift that deserves to be cherished.

When viewed with this mindset, my life takes on a whole new vitality. My problems don’t dissolve, but my negativity does. Instead of cheapening my experiences by wishing them away, I can appreciate how even the “icky” parts of my everyday experiences are contributing to the incredible richness of my existence. For example, college is definitely not fun sometimes—especially when I’m weary and longing for a break. But so many girls my age would give practically anything for a chance to earn a college degree, and here I am majoring in two of my favorite subjects at my dream school. I’m equipping myself with tools and skills that will allow me to provide for myself and develop a career in the future. When I look at my classes in that light, how can I possibly complain about them?

My life is an adventure. Everything that I’m learning and experiencing right now is preparing me for the twists-and-turns that are waiting for me down the road. But I don’t have to wish my “right now” away in hopes of something better, because it is already brimming over with meaningful relationships, natural beauty, and countless blessings. I don’t have to wait until summer to savor a steaming cup of chai tea, to stay up late at night talking and giggling with my roommate, to watch the setting sun paint the sky pink and orange, or to absorb the powerful truths and ideas of a good novel. These beautiful things are all here at my fingertips. Right now. Today. They are just waiting for me to stop turning a blind eye to the overwhelming goodness of my life and start embracing it.

Every day is a gift. I truly believe that, and I’m ready to start living like it.