Why Jesus Would Never Have Voted for Trump | The Odyssey Online

Why Jesus Would Never Have Voted for Trump

Stop Saying Trump was the Christian Choice

298
Funny or Die

I started thinking about this back even before the primaries. I caught myself thinking, “who would Jesus vote for?” I’m no expert, in politics or the subject of Jesus, but I do have a relationship with Jesus and like to study him and think about how he lived. It really bothered me when so many “Christians” started to endorse Donald Trump as the “Christian” candidate. The thing is, I feel as if Jesus and Trump’s opinions are about as opposite as you can get. Here’s why.

1) Immigration

Jesus: Leviticus 19:33-34 “When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God”(openbible.info).

Trump: "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best," he said. "They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people"(amny.com)

"Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on,"

Now, it is clear to me that Jesus loved all people. No matter where they were born, living, going, he loved them. Jesus was an immigrant. He traveled with his family. God called the slaves out of Egypt.

2) The Poor and Generosity

Jesus: Psalm 112:5-7 Good comes to those who lend money generously and conduct their business fairly. Such people will not be overcome by evil. Those who are righteous will be long remembered. They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the LORD to care for them.

Proverbs 28:27 whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to poverty will be cursed (bible reasons.com).

Trump: ''My entire life, I've watched politicians bragging about how poor they are, how they came from nothing, how poor their parents and grandparents were. And I said to myself, if they can stay so poor for so many generations, maybe this isn't the kind of person we want to be electing to higher office, how smart can they be? They're morons” (thedailybeast.com)

Trump has a habit of letting us know that yes, he’s very rich. He once said on his Comedy Central roast during his rebuttal time that he has “seven billion f%$*>g dollars in the bank”(Newsexaminer.com). And, from 1990 to 2009 he has only donated 3.7 million to HIS OWN FOUNDATION (Newsexaminer.com)

Oh, and what was that about conducting business fairly?? According to The Atlantic, there have been hundreds of cases where people working for Trump have claimed, “they were stiffed on payment for the services they rendered”. From $10,000- $400,000. That seems a little bit like unfair business to me... Not to mention the FOUR bankruptcies Trump has had. From “Trump University”, the for profit “university” he created to teach his “real estate secrets”. Turns out he cheated students out of 40 million dollars. So there you have it (theatlantic.com).

3) Race

Jesus: Galatians 3:28

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, and there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus (bible. knowing- Jesus.com).

1 John 2:11

But the one who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

Trump: “They are a danger to our Christian way of life in America, it’s that simple, The Muslims, they want us dead, we know that for a fact. The refugees are joining ISIS and are pouring into our country like that. They both hate our freedom and way of life, you can’t argue that. By enforcing and requiring these possible terrorists to wear badges at all time they can be easily identified and tracked if necessary. This is nothing like the badges the Jews had to wear during the Holocaust, that was different, but you know; it’s the same thing. These are tough times right now and I’m just saying what everyone else is too afraid to say. We can take back America, we just need to work together, and it’s never too late” (News Examiner Examine Your World).

WHAT!?!?? Trump, this is insane. “They” (the Muslim people) are not a “danger to our Christian way of life in America”. They are people, not “us and them”. They are our brothers and sisters. By suggesting that we make Muslims register and wear badges is treating them like a different species and forcing hate and separation. Jesus loves all people the same and guess what? He even loves Christians and Muslims the same.

I could go on for hours about the blaring differences between Trump's ideology and Jesus’. But I think these are some concrete examples for why Jesus would Dump Trump (but still love him because he is a child of God too). That being said, he has won (somehow) and I believe it is our job to stand up to him and fight for what is right. I’m standing for what Jesus taught. Love, peace, and generosity. I’m not giving up, but I’m standing up. And please, for the love of God, stop saying, “America is God’s land” and “thank the Lord Jesus for president Trump”.