Why I'm Proud To Be Hmong

Why I'm Proud To Be Hmong

And a quick history lesson.

596
Why I'm Proud To Be Hmong
Devian Art

Growing up in such a diverse city like Saint. Paul, Minnesota, I had nothing to worry about when topics like my ethnicity came up. Everyone I was surrounded by knew about the Hmong people and our history. It was not until I came to college that I began to receive questions such as "what is Hmong" or "where did your ancestors migrate from"? I am so happy to answer these questions now, but there existed a time when I wanted to hide my identity. So now you may ask, who are the Hmong? Let's begin with the basic history; then I'll share a few reasons why I'm proud to Hmong.

Hmong people have always migrated from place to place because they do not have their own country. They lived in remote areas along the Yangtze and Yellow Rivers located in China for centuries during the late 1700s. They were forced to migrate to the mountainous hills of Laos due to political uprisings, such as the rise of Miao Rebellion of 1795. Oppression was faced by the French and Laotian in Laos during the late 1800s as Hmong people were heavily taxed. As time went on, many conflicts arose including World War II on the fight against the spread of communism. President John F. Kennedy and The CIA recruited Hmong soldiers to fight against North Vietnamese communists in what we know today, as the Secret War during the 1960s. As the United States retreated from the war in the early 1970s, many Hmong families suffered the loss of their home and loved ones. Hmong people began to flee the country of Laos to save their lives from the backlash of the Pathet Lao who were targeting allies of the United States and the CIA. In 1975, Hmong migrants prompted the creation of refugee camps formed across the border in Thailand. After years of living in the refugee camps, Hmong people were able to receive sponsorship to many countries all over the world such as the United States of America, France, and Australia. Many Hmong families now reside in the United States, and the population continues to grow.

It can get tough at times to be Hmong-American, but there are more positives than negatives in the roads I have crossed. Therefore, I want to share with you why I am so proud to be Hmong.

1. The Hmong language is beautiful.

I have heard from many that Hmong is the hardest language to learn, and I do not have a hard time believing that. I will admit that the Hmong language is extremely difficult, especially if you are not a native Hmong speaker. However, once you learn the language, it is so peaceful and the words are so well spoken that is could easily pass as music to my ears. Having said that, let me teach you how to introduce yourself in Hmong.

English: Hello, my name is ______.

Hmong: Nyob zoo, kuv lub npe yog ______.

In English if would sound something like this: Nyaw zong, qoo loo bay yah ______.

2. The music is unique.

This is a traditional qeej.

The thing that makes Hmong music unique would have to be the different instruments that are part of it. Many instruments in Hmong music could include qeej or a ximxaus, which are pictured below. Accompanied by these instruments would be lyrics in the beautiful language, which adds even more uniqueness to Hmong music.

This is a traditional xim xaus.

3. The food is beyond delicious

Starting from the left side going down: Sticky rice, white rice, mashed potatoes, chili pepper sauce, salad, and fruits.

Starting from the right side going down: Chicken gizzard salad, turkey, roasted potatoes, ham, fried chicken, and spicy stir fried chicken feet.

Being a college student away from home, the first thing I do when I go home is eat Hmong food! I am most excited about our exquisite cuisine as it can range from anything sweet and salty to something extremely bitter. With such extreme flavors, your taste buds would be in for a ride while dining at a Hmong house or restaurant. Some of my favorites include Hmong sausage, sticky rice, and chicken soup with bamboo. Here's a sneak peak at what my family had for Thanksgiving, incase you are curious about what some Hmong food may consist of and look like. It is really just an incorporation of American and Hmong Food.

4. Hmong Clothes!

These wonderful people in the photo are participants of Gustavus' Hmong New Year Fashion Show for 2016-2017.

Hmong clothes are a symbol of the Hmong culture, as there are so many unique designs. There are very complicated outfits, and there are very simple outfits, but each person has the freedom to dress up in which ever style they most feel comfortable in. In my family, females wear pants with their outfits, but females in other families can certainly wear skirts as well. One awesome thing about Hmong clothes is the variability that each outfit has, and the fact that we can mix and match any outfit and it will still look fantastic.

5. Hmong New Year is the best time of the year!

2016-2017 Gustavus Hmong New Year Goers salavan dancing to wrap up the event.

Hmong people look forward to the Hmong New Year around November because it is one of the few times in the year where we can rest. Traditionally, there is a big event called the Hmong New Year where people come together to eat, perform in singing and dancing, compete in pageants, and shop for Hmong clothes and souvenirs. There are many various events around the globe, and many people travel far distances to make it to each Hmong New Year one year at a time. Gustavus Adolphus College is one example of a place where the Hmong New Year is celebrated. Students and community members come to together to watch special performances, eat, and dance the night away.