Why Goodbye Isn't Forever | The Odyssey Online

Why Goodbye Isn't Forever

Is goodbye really the end? Or, just the beginning?

85
Why Goodbye Isn't Forever

Before I explain "Why Goodbye Isn't Forever," I feel it would be a good time to introduce myself to you guys for the first time. My name is Tyler Mitchell Tarbet, and I am a junior at Western Carolina University. I am an avid golfer and huge supporter of the Yankees, Panthers, Lakers, Hornets, Flyers and, of course, Tiger Woods! I am now 21 years old, and you could definitely say I've had an interesting "start" to my life. However, I'll throw more details in about me as I continue to write articles. With that said, let's get into the meat of this article.

Pictured above is my mother and I at a carnival in California.

In 2013, I was a senior in high school at Charlotte Catholic. We were at our senior retreat at Camp Thunderbird, which we stay the night at when I received a phone call from my step-dad Tony saying "Tyler, you need to get back home ASAP." It didn't take me more than 5 seconds to realize what the issue was, and that was that something had gone wrong with my mom. I had been dreading this day for months. A few months before the senior retreat, I was at a summer camp when I had learned my mother had stage 4 cirrhosis of the liver. So, naturally, every day from that point on I was terrified of when this day might come. Later that night, at 6:13 pm, which is ironic as her birthday is June 13th (6-13), she passed away right in front of my eyes. The only way to describe walking out of that hospital room that night is to say it was sheer disbelief. Knowing that I'd never see her or hear her again? Wow.

Here is why I truly believe that "Goodbye Isn't Forever:"

You will never, ever, forget your lost loved ones or their memories.

I carry on her legacy every single day. This one really hits home to me because it is has been 3 years since she has passed and whenever a conversation comes up about my family or me, I still always say "we" as if she was still around.

I wouldn't be the guy I am today if it wasn't for her.

Goodbye, by its very nature, is a simple expression to have a proper send-off. I find that because goodbye is such a common word and because it is taken for granted, how could it be the word that describes the ending of a life?

Memories are the most important thing that each and every person has. I recently sold the house that I grew up in, and as I was crying my eyes out, I realized that all the memories of my mom and this house were actually with me inside my brain and heart and that they were not going to leave me just because the house was gone. This made me realize that just because I said "goodbye" to my mother November 26th, 2013 in the ICU, it didn't actually mean that it was the ending of her or her impacts on my life.

Death is a challenging thing. It is inevitable. However, does the loss of a person's life mean that they are truly gone from us or this world? I would argue no. You may never "see" them again, but you sure as hell will be blessed with an Angel who will always guide you as you go down the journey we call life. So, I hoped I showed "Why Goodbye Isn't Forever," and that anyone who is suffering from a situation similar to mine, just know that you can and will get through this. Believe in yourself and believe in the Angel you have just been given. Remember, you will always carry on the legacy on your loved ones, and you will always be endowed with the incredible memories of them. This is "Why Goodbye Isn't Forever."

I would just like to note that if anyone reading this feels trapped or lost because of a recent death in their life, please reach out to me. I, and many others want to take you down the journey of recovery. It will be tough, but you will one day find solace with everything surrounding you. God Bless.