Why Girls Go To The Bathroom Together | The Odyssey Online

Why Girls Go To The Bathroom Together

Because apparently doing so is some sort of crime.

169
Why Girls Go To The Bathroom Together

No one takes advantage of “the buddy system” quite like a girl. Whether it’s shopping, coffee trips, or working out, we do nearly everything in pairs – including (and especially) going to the bathroom.

To an outsider, it's easy to mistake this act of friendship for a bizarre act of dependence or even utter stupidity. Nearly every boy has asked the following question at least once in his life: “Why do girls go to the bathroom together?” The confusion is understandable, seeing as the thirst for a companion for the haul to the ladies' room is a pretty strange thing to want. Half the time, the question is being asked out of genuine curiosity. But the other half of the time, it's being remarked as an insult. Silly girls, one may think, looking at themselves in the mirror together – as if doing so is some sort of malicious act of idiocy.

But things aren't always as they seem, and dependence isn't always a crime. Maybe we want a break from the madness of the scene outside of the bathroom walls. “Hey, wanna go to the bathroom?” can be codeword for anything from “This guy is being so creepy, rescue me” to “Did you see Sarah’s boyfriend just kiss that girl? We need to discuss this – NOW!” The bathroom is an excuse for some time to catch up with each other, and relish that much needed "girl talk" in a more private setting. And you know what, sometimes we do use this time to check ourselves in the mirror. Maybe we do need an extra set of eyes to confirm the perfection of our makeup. But is that really so wrong?

And maybe, just maybe, there is greater depth to this “buddy system” than merely looking at themselves in the mirror together. Part of the time, this joint bathroom venture is, admittedly so, to hang out and talk without the fear of others listening in on the conversation. But the other aspects of this ritual of never going to the bathroom alone at an event are much more meaningful. Maybe we're in a setting in which we don't feel comfortable going off alone. Or maybe we feel awkward being left alone while our “buddy” for the night goes off to the bathroom. Either way, this act of friendship should be praised for epitomizing female support rather than criticized as idiotic dependence.

The buddy system is, at its origin and core, about protecting each other. We hear again and again about the dangers of leaving your drink alone and people taking advantage of you when wandering off. Story after story deters young girls from abandoning the buddy system in unfamiliar situations. From a male perspective, protecting each other, whether from a potentially dangerous situation or smeared mascara, is stupid. In the eyes of a boy, “the buddy system” is synonymous with looking at themselves in the mirror. However, we girls know that this uninformed observation couldn't be farther from the truth.

The truth is, as girls, we love company almost everywhere we go. Being able to go to the bathroom with a friend makes a potentially awkward trip more comfortable. Is that so wrong? In certain situations, this partnership is an act of protection. In others, the bathroom is the place where we can enjoy a few moments of girl talk and collect ourselves before re-entering the jungle outside of the bathroom walls. And sometimes, we commit the ultimate crime of looking at ourselves in the mirror.