Why Facebook Is The Literal Worst

Why Facebook Is The Literal Worst

You hate to love it and love to hate it

28
Why Facebook Is The Literal Worst
http://internet.wonderhowto.com

With Facebook being one of the most popular social media sites, it’s rare to hear a person over the age of 15 say that they don’t have an account. It plays a vital part in our everyday lives and sometimes, that’s not always a good thing.

For the most part, people only post their highlights of their lives, especially the holidays. Facebook at Christmas-time is basically just where you post the pictures of best stuff you got for Christmas and then compare it with what everyone else got. At any time, I can almost guarantee that you can scroll through your newsfeed and see the girl who’s crazy in love with a super-romantic boyfriend who just gave her a gorgeous promise ring in the most gagable (yes, I know that's not a word but it should be) way possible, the friend who just took a super-fun trip to the beach or the city for the weekend, the family who is vacationing to some exciting destination, or that person who just got a new car/house/dog/dress/anything. You rarely see someone post about how they’re struggling with depression or an eating disorder, how their spouse cheated on them, how they don’t know where their next paycheck is coming from, or any of life’s real challenges. Now, I understand that sometimes people don’t want to bring people down with their stories of hardships or seem like they're complaining, but sometimes it’s nice to see someone, especially celebrities, talking about something real and showing me that their life isn’t as perfect as their social media makes it out to be.

Another thing that bothers me about Facebook is that people don’t seem to have the same boundaries on social media as they do in real life. They tend to overstep boundaries that they probably wouldn’t if you were face-to-face. Any of my girls out there who have been constantly harassed by that one dude you just don’t want to talk to, know what I’m talking about. And don’t get me started on the overshare-ers. You know exactly who I’m talking about and I bet you also pictured someone right away. Those people who share posts like “share if you love Jesus” or "Share if you love your mom/dad/boyfriend/girlfriend/yourself/dog/pizza/anything and everything" or any of those emotional pictures that gets shared all over the internet, ALL. THE. TIME. We all have at least one friend like that. We get it, you love dog videos (I mean really, who doesn't?) but I really don't want them constantly clogging up my newsfeed. Okay, I lied, but you get the point. Thank God for the "Unfollow" option, am I right?

One thing I’ve noticed that I feel is particularly stupid, is that when people post “In a Relationship” on Facebook, people take it as a whole new level of seriousness. I see a lot of comments like “about time” or “getting serious” when someone changes their relationship status. There’s a lot of emphasis on making it FBO in my generation and if one of the people in the relationship doesn’t care or doesn’t want to make it FBO and the other does, it could be a deal breaker.

Have we really gotten so shallow that we base how much someone likes us on whether or not they’ll tell social media that you’re together?

I’ll admit, there is a level of commitment to making it FBO; you don’t want to be that person that is constantly getting in and out of relationships on a public forum, but a relationship is only between you and your significant other. You should be secure enough in your relationship that that art of it doesn’t matter very much. As long as your significant other makes it clear that you're together to everyone in the real world, your relationship status on social media really doesn't matter. Although, it is a nice way to fend off the creeps.

I could go on and on about the issues I have with Facebook but I’ll spare you and lastly mention how awful the holidays are for single people because there are so many freaking engagements. I’m pretty sure I saw at least five friends get engaged within the same week right before Christmas. Facebook can be a great tool to connect to old friends, classmates, coworkers and family but it’s so easy to use it the wrong way. So PLEASE, for everyone's sake, take a moment to think about your relationship with social media. It might be time for a break-up.