Why Everyone Should Live By Themselves At Least Once | The Odyssey Online

Why Everyone Should Live By Themselves At Least Once

Breaking free from the nest is a part of becoming an adult.

359
flickr

These last few months I have been spending my summer in Fredonia working two jobs while also trying to have a relaxing break from school, but the largest change I have overcame is living alone.

You read that right; by myself. No parents, no housemates, no friends. Just me, myself, and I.

If someone told me that this was how I was going to spend my 2016 summer vacation in my college town in my own apartment I would have cringed. I would have not believed you for one moment.

It has been over two months living on my own and it has been one of the most exciting life experiences yet. I believe everyone should live alone at least one time in their life.

Living alone can bring a lot of anxiety, nerves, stress, and fear. Many of us have lived with our parents, guardians, siblings, or extended family constantly throughout out lives.

There's a freedom and liberation that comes from living on your own.

Living alone as a young adult allows you to learn habits that won't be healthy for someone as an adult. I discovered how much I spent going out for food while I have been alone than when I was living with people. Fighting temptation is hard surrounded by people than by yourself.

Living on your own means you can do what you want without having to think about other people and instead putting yourself first. You can do whatever you want to do without asking someone if they want to join, telling someone what time you will be back, or being caught in a situation you don't want to be a part of. You get to live your life on your own time and do what makes you happy.

You want to go see that movie no one else wants to see? Go do it! Don't feel like cleaning the dishes for a few days? Eh, you will get around to it. Want to laze around all day in nothing but a t-shirt and underwear? By all means. It's a different atmosphere than when you split the rent with additional people

I mean, a lot of us have lived with other friends and have been on our own. But it is not the same when you come home to an empty apartment than a home with your friends. Even taking that first step there's something fulfilling about paying your own bills, purchasing your own necessities, earning your own paycheck, saving money, and not asking whomever for help for money.

There are so many positives about living by yourself, but it has it's downsides. You can get lonely quickly, you have to make more of an effort to see your friends, keep on top of your paying bills, killing bugs by yourself, and most importantly taking care of yourself.

Living alone makes you put yourself first which helped so much with my anxiety and depression. It has forced me to think of myself to make sure I am okay and if I need to get out of the house, I can. I can take care of me without someone worrying about me, too.

Moral of this story is that you should live by yourself once in your life. Whether it be for months, years, or a lifetime. Being independent is such a great trait to have as an individual. Being young means we should be doing all the things we want to do rather than regretting the moments we didn't even experience.

It makes you more of an adult than a young teenager. Growing up is a hard. However, it's pretty awesome if you take a breath and remember to always see the light at the end of the tunnel.