Why Ancient History Is My Favorite History

Why ancient history matters to me, and why it has become one of my favorite subjects.

678

History has always captivated me. All of the battles, revolutions, and cultures of old are certainly riveting. But, one particular period of history has always been my favorite. That period, or rather category of history, is ancient history. Which was also the very first type of history that I remember learning about. Ever since I was a kid, ancient history always excited me. Now that I am taking up history in college, I have a renewed love for ancient history, and here's why...

I think one of the biggest reasons ancient history is my favorite is because it is such a diverse category. Ancient history can comprise of anything. Such as the first cultures in Mesopotamia, the Roman Empire, the Pyramids in Giza, and Celtic tribes, just to name a few. Ancient history spans over several countries, continents, and centuries. There are so many areas to study in ancient history, so it never gets boring.

Then, there is definitely something fantastical about it all. Imagining all of those past cultures, with their unfamiliar ways, paints a picture of a different world. A world that seems so unreal, yet is. A world that I could explore for days, making treasures out of all the new and unfamiliar information. Studying ancient history (or history in general) becomes quite the adventure.

Still, as far away as these worlds seem, I can always find a connection to those who lived so long ago. They were just as human as we are today. Even though their ways of life may have seemed primitive and simple (something I often envy), they still had strong emotions, aspirations, and purpose. They lived life in many ways that we do. They worked and they celebrated. They loved and they mourned. Like us, they were all unique in their own ways. While this accounts for all people throughout history, I always felt it more strongly with the peoples of ancient times. Overall, I think that making that human connection between now and then is also a big reason as to why I love ancient history, or rather history in general. Understanding the human experience is a fulfilling study. One that I keep close to my heart.

So, ancient history will always be my favorite area of history. It is an open book full of diverse stories and characters. Learning ancient times history connects you to the primal ways of human existence. It is truly as interesting as it is enlightening. So as my studies in college continue, so will my adventures into the unknown of the ancients. And even after school it will continue. Then centuries after I am gone, I too will become a part of ancient history.