Children's Books Aren't Just For Kids | The Odyssey Online

Children's Books Aren't Just For Kids

You're never too old for a trip down Memory Lane.

29
Children's Books Aren't Just For Kids
The Parallax Perspective

I have loved to read ever since I was a kid. One of my favorite things to do was to watch in wonder as a mess of words on a page transformed into an entire universe inside my head. It was like magic, and I would spend time with those characters and storylines for hours.

Fast forward to adulthood. Most of the popular books I see targeted toward my age group include three key ingredients. The first is a romantic relationship that makes Harley Quinn and the Joker look like a functional couple. The second is some sort of fantasy element that takes a terrifying creature from classical literature and turns it into a band member from One Direction. Finally, and this is crucial, the dialogue must make a fortune cookie message look worthy of a Pulitzer.

It’s frustrating, isn’t it? At the moment, you have two options. You can either write the next great book series, or you can do Throwback Thursday a few days early and pick up a book from your childhood. Not quite convinced? Afraid that it will hurt your cool reputation? Here are a few reasons why you should throw the notion of maturity to the wind and read a kid’s book today:

1. They teach life lessons in a simple way.

Kids' books deal with bullying, friendship, respecting others, anger, honesty, trust, and so much more. One of my favorite life lessons is in “Horton Hears a Who,” which uses a talking elephant and a simple rhyming scheme to remind us that “a person’s a person no matter how small.”

2. They can help bring back some of the sense of wonder you had as a kid.

This world is rough, and that can bring out the bitterness in all of us. The world is also wonderful, if you choose to see it. Remember the wild and magical world of “Dr. Doolittle?” Try reading it again as an adult, loosening your slightly cynical grip for a second, and letting yourself imagine what it would be like to talk to the animals.

3. They will kick start your imagination.

I firmly believe that “Harold and the Purple Crayon” has the ability to bring out the creativity in everyone. How can you read a story about a kid who DRAWS HIS OWN WORLD and not experience a tiny spark of inspiration?

4. They show us that becoming who we are meant to be takes time.

For some reason, the world seems to believe that you should have everything figured out about yourself and your life by the time you are an adult. If you ever feel lost and like your life is a mess, read “The Velveteen Rabbit.” It will remind you that, while life can be hard, it will shape you into something beautiful from the inside out.

5. They remind us that the little things in life are the most important.

How did we get into the mindset that our biggest accomplishments are all that matter? What about valuing our daydreams, picking out the perfect outfit or going to the beach on a particularly nice day? If you need a little encouragement to appreciate the details, “Olivia” is the book for you.

6. They don't take themselves too seriously.

Books for adults tend to be pretty serious. That’s a little bit too close to real life for my taste. If you think you need to lighten up a little, read “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.” It’s hard to be super uptight if you’re imagining meatballs bouncing off your umbrella.

7. They are full of wonderful examples of friendship.

In books for adults, friendships seem to follow the pattern of “I don’t really like you, but I’ll tolerate your existence because I have few other options.” Would "Pippi Longstocking," "The Berenstain Bears," "Clifford the Big Red Dog" or (my favorite) "Mouse & Mole" accept this? I don’t think so.

8. They do a great job of showing what love looks like.

“The Giving Tree” shows that love isn’t just made up of warm feelings and fluttery eyelashes. It means that we value that other person enough to give them everything we have. It means cheering on their accomplishments, loving them when they’ve hurt us, and holding on even when it would be easier to let go.

9. They acknowledge that it's okay to be scared sometimes.

Adulthood is full of people who tell you that you can’t be afraid of anything anymore. Children’s books realize that fear is part of life, and they help you realize that you can overcome it. “Wemberly Worried” has always been a favorite of mine when I’m feeling afraid.

10. They remind us that life is what we make of it.

There are many people who think that life should come to them inside of their own comfort zone. “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!” is a great reminder that we need to charge out into the world and take advantage of the wonderful adventure we call life.

If you’re tired of the books targeted at our generation, I have a challenge for you. Read a children's book today. Most of them are fairly short, and it won’t take much of your time. Let go of what you feel like you “have” to do, who you “have” to be and how you “have” to think.

Read, and try to remember a little bit of the wonder you felt as a kid. Adulthood will still be there when you finish.