White Feminism and the Women's March
Politics

White Feminism and the Women's March

“I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.” - Audre Lorde

16
White Feminism and the Women's March

When I first looked at pictures from the Women's Marches around the world, I felt a feeling of solidarity in my heart. The sheer magnitude of the people that had came together to stand up for women's rights made me feel hopeful for the future. I haven't had that feeling for quite some time.

As I started to read over first hand accounts and viral signs from the Women's March on Washington from women of color I began to gain a different type of interpretation of the event.

In a FADER interview with activist and community volunteer Maya Angelique Monroe, she noticed how the law enforcement acted differently towards the Women's March, than they would towards a Black Likes Matter protest, for example. She also noticed different micro-aggressions happening within the crowd.

A Fusion article showcased three viral signs from the Women's March throughout the world and how they challenged the intersectionality of feminism.

This one gave me the most to think about.

When I considered myself as a feminist, I thought I was a part of a large group of people who were concerned about my rights as not only a woman, but as a black woman. And as a black woman, there are certain issues that we have to deal with as solely black women. This is the same with other women of color, no matter what the ethnic background. There are issues that plague certain groups.

As feminists, there has to be a concern over all women. Not just women that look like you and issues that only affect you.

That's an interesting problem to have, when the organizers for the Women's March on Washington look like this.

That's what I believe brought a shady connection between women of color and the Women's March. It ended up becoming a figure that didn't seem to stand for issues that hurt certain groups of women. It became a mouthpiece for women that society are most compassionate for.

The privileged within women need to admit that they have privilege in order for the group to stand together and grow as unit against the patriarchy. They need to use it for good and for the advancement of others less privileged so we can all have the unity to go after these issues that are affecting all women.

So, yeah, I hope I do see all those nice white ladies at the next Black Lives Matter march.

Will it actually happen? We'll see.