When You're As Impatient As I Am | The Odyssey Online

When You're As Impatient As I Am

It really is a curse, isn't it?

275
When You're As Impatient As I Am
deanroberts.net

It doesn't matter how many times I'm told to be patient, because the truth is I never will be. Whether or not I'm waiting in line at the grocery store, waiting for a friend to text me back, or waiting to find out what I received on my final exams, I very well might be the most impatient person alive.

Of course we're all a little impatient sometimes, because inconvenience is probably the worst thing to happen in our fast-paced society, but it gets to be dangerous when the feeling becomes so intense that it causes one to overthink.

I've thoroughly convinced myself of the worst possible outcomes in every situation, especially while waiting on something really important, like test results or an offer for a job or internship. I know I'm not the only one who's sat staring at their email waiting for a (1) to pop up in the inbox or read the last page of a book because I have to find out how it ends before I even begin reading it, but I'm trying to learn to relax a little bit.

In my mind, everything needs to be instantaneous. I need to know right now. This needs to happen right now, and I drive myself crazy because of it. I get so caught up in the waiting period that it's all I can think about. Then I become angry, upset, and even more stressed because I've convinced myself of something that probably isn't the case, like I'm going to wind up homeless if I get a bad grade on an essay or an exam.

Nobody likes to wait, but I've found that even the littlest things like waiting for the light to turn green or for my computer to turn on annoy me, and it's getting a little bit out of hand. Most people will just tell me that I'm overreacting and they're probably right, but that doesn't make it any easier for me to stop thinking about what's to come in the future.

For anyone else out there, who also shares a deep hatred for waiting, uncertainty, and the unknown, I'm sure you can understand where I'm coming from. Actually, I'm sure you can all understand where I'm coming, because we all experience this agitation every once in a while. I think I just take it to a new extreme.

Although it might already be April, I'm making my New Years resolution to stop worrying so much about the future and to let myself enjoy the waiting period, because in not knowing what might happen, there might be a lot of negatives, but there's also an awful lot of positives as well. I've come to the conclusion that I've just got to look for them.