Top Five Greatest Hip-Hop Beefs

Top Five Greatest Hip-Hop Beefs

Meek, Drake and the greatest beefs we know

123
Top Five Greatest Hip-Hop Beefs

Rap battles and feuds between MCs' play a big role in the essence and history of hip-hop and rap.Shortly after being introduced to the new genre, the "beef" as we know it came right after.Hip-hop group,Boogie Down productions' KRS-One and Super group Juice Crews Marley Marl's feud would be known as one of the first beefs in hip hop history, as they recited punch lines and rhymes revealing where they thought the true birthplace of hip hop was.

Rap beefs have become apart of the core and culture of hip-hop. The latest and ongoing beef today stems between rapper Meek Mill of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Drake from Toronto, Canada. Shots began to fire after Meek Mill took to twitter and dropped a bomb on Drake's career stating he did not write is own raps, and that ghost writer Quentin Miller was the true sixth god genius.

Drake responded with not one but two diss tracks titled "Charged Up" and "Back to Back" as he waited readily on Meek's next move. This beef has awakened and excited the Hip Hop culture. It portrays how some of the greatest beefs in Hip Hop history transpire.

Here is what could be some of the Top five beefs in Hip Hop.

5. Gucci Mane vs Young Jeezy (Trap Gods)

In 2005, rappers Young Jeezy and Gucci Mane produced the track "Icy" to be release on Jeezy's album but the beef occurred when Gucci Mane took the song and put it on his own album. The rapper Jeezy was outraged and upset because he could not use the track. He did not get paid for the song and inspired the diss track titled "Stay Strapped." The feud lasted for years and Jeezy lost a member of his entourage. Shortly after the song released, Gucci Mane was assaulted at a female friend's house, during the altercation he grabbed his pistol and shot one of the intruders. He would later turn him self in but got acquitted of the charges stating he was acting in self defense. In 2010 Gucci Mane recorded another diss track named "Worst Enemy." The beef never was settled and in 2012 Gucci Mane tweeted that he would bet $100 thousand dollars that he could physically beat Young Jeezy. Apparently, Gucci Mane had no intentions on settling the beef between the two Atlanta rappers.

4. LiL' Kim vs Nicki Minaj (Queens of New York)

Who would've thought one picture can ignite such a beef between two females MC's? In 2008, the rising star Nicki Minaj debuted the art work for her "Sucka Free" mix-tape which looked to pay homage to Lil' Kim's 1996 album cover "Hard Core". This later got misinterpreted as Nicki trying to be the "New Lil' Kim". Nicki tried on several occasions to clear up the misconception but the beef had already started. Lil' Kim took the opportunity to bash the new artist whenever she felt it was best. After hearing enough Nicki entered the ring with her gloves off. She released "Roman's Revenge" a song of her debut album, that many believe had a few lines for the veteran rapper. Nicki also did an interview with a few words for Kim “Put your music out and when I see your name on Billboard that’s when I’ll respond to you.” This subsequently sent Lil' Kim off and led to her 2010 diss mix-tape "Black Friday" shading Nicki's recent "Pink Friday" album. The two continue to disregard the next and there seems there is no hope for the two uniting giving the world the ultimate girl power hip hop collaboration.

3. 50 Cent vs Rick Ross (MVP of Beef)

This beef can be one of the funniest we have had the joy in witnessing in the Hip Hop world. 50 Cent is notorious for his ability to make fun and get under the skin of anyone in the industry. The cause of the feud is unclear but it is said that the exchange of dirty looks started it all. Rick Ross a Miami native dissed the New York-er on his song "Mafia Music" when he talked about the rappers baby mother. Wrong move Ross. This unleashed the funny and harsh 50 Cent we know today. 50 Cent released a diss track responding and the worst was yet to come. 50 Cent got on thisis50.com with Rick Ross baby mother ending all speculations when she confirmed that the rapper in deed was a correctional officer before stardom. Rick Ross took a big hit from that because he has been known for rapping about a life style on opposite side of the law. 50 did not end there. The rapper also leaked a sex tape of the rappers baby mother, but 50 Cent is now paying for the foul play. The dirty move is still being handled in court as Ms. Leviston is suing 50 Cent and saying that the tape made her want to commit suicide. If she wins, this could set Mr. Jackson (50 Cent) back $5 million dollars. Be careful beefing with him, he plays dirty!

2. Notorious B. I. G. vs Tupac (East Coast vs West Coast a country at war)

Two of the greatest and one of the most publicized beefs ever was between Biggie Smalls and Tupac Shakur. This is such a sad story as two promising influences would lose their lives to the disagreement between them. Starting as friends the ship began to sink when Tupac got shot outside of New York's Quad studios in 1994. Biggie was also at the studio but played no involvement, he released "Who Shot Ya" shortly after sending an already suspicious Tupac off. Bad timing wouldn't you think? Shakur would later go on and diss Biggie on the all too famous and maybe best diss of all time "Hit em Up." If you know Hip Hop you know this song, with their respected coast behind them this beef affected the entire nation. The beef ended with the death of Tupac in 1996 and Big's death six months after. Hip Hop lost two of the greatest of all time and both murders still go unsolved.

1. Jay-Z vs Nas (New York New York!)

Bringing it all back where it started, Jay-Z and Nas take the number one spot for rap beefs. The two had tension long before the beef started but would gain a voice after Memphis Bleek dissed Nas on "My State of Mind" in 2000. Memphis was the protegé of Jay-Z and when Nas replied he responded to both of them. Jay fired back about Nas' career, dissecting it piece by piece on his 2001 diss track "The Takeover." Nas replied not to mistaken when he blatantly said "F**k Jay-Z on his response track "Ether." With just one more punch to jab out Jay released "Supa Ugly" where he admitted to having sex with Nas' baby mother. These guys really hit you where it hurts! The beef would end in 2005 at the "I Declare War" concert. After "grilling" the beef between them "The Takeover" including "Ether" can no longer be performed live. Their beef ended on clear terms and the two are now friends and have created numerous of songs together.

Though rap beefs make for great media, it is not so uncommon in comparison to the daily disagreements we may have everyday. Instead of an altercation, some beefs these rappers fought with their wits and punch lines that have circuited our air waves for years. Hip Hop is alive and has the new generation hungry for more. The current track "Who Knows" Meek responded with has everyone wanting more than what was presented. With ever battle comes a victor and after Drakes' performance at OVO Fest where he displaced countless memes of the Philly rapper it is safe to say he won this one. We will continue to remember some of Hip Hops most memorable controversial moments as we witness history being written with every diss and punt intended rhyme. Beef is the competitive sport of Hip Hop and we are all here for the show.