What Is Life's Purpose? | The Odyssey Online

What Is Life's Purpose?

How can you discover your gift to the world?

22
What Is Life's Purpose?
PC Wall Art

It is both common and terrifying to think you might not be destined for greatness. However, it’s an indisputable fact of nature that we are each created differently. Keeping that principle in mind, I believe we each struggle with an unordinary gift. Regardless of how unexceptional or plain you view yourself, I can assure you that you’re a beautiful oddball capable of giving the world something no one else can. Although, first you have to know yourself in order to discover your purpose. We all face a quest for passion and reason, no matter how small and simple it may seem.

There’s this saying I’ve heard spoken in a few different interpretations, that I really relate with. What it breaks down to is that obsession begets talent. Being great at something requires a willingness to put in a deranged amount of time and effort, and therefore passion quickly becomes obsession. That’s how I’ve always been acutely aware of my “gift” for writing. Since I can remember, I have been writing just for the hell of it. Not because any instructor forced me to, but because when I get an idea in my head, I become completely absorbed with it. Despite my incessant need to write, I become quickly frustrated when my thoughts don’t seem to flow the way I’d like. I will spend hours perfecting my work, in order to create a piece I can be proud of. That is obsession, and obsession is merely being passionate and choosing to do something about it. When I write, I expect the best from myself, for myself. I think that is another huge part in figuring out what you're meant to do. Find that thing you love, when there is no real explanation for it. Just the genuine fact that you love it, and refuse to give up on it.

To anyone experiencing doubts and fear about a passionate future, stay your course. Try new things. Be unafraid of vulnerability. You will inevitably find a life that consumes you. And when whatever it is your crazy about begins to frustrate you, stick with it. You can only achieve maximum you-ness by giving your unprecedented gift a chance to breathe. Maybe you’re super meticulous and one day you’ll end up an interior designer. Maybe you live for justice and you’ll join Law Enforcement. Or perhaps, you see dead people and decide to become a psychic or a Ghostbuster. I don’t know your life. But whatever your niche is that makes you you, seek it and give it a chance.