You've Been Warned : 7 Things You Need To Note About Spring Semester At WVU

Don't let the name fool you, it won't be Spring for a while.

24
College Express

Well, ladies and gentleman, we are back at it again. It's that lovely time of year that they call the beginning of spring semester. But, don't let the name fool you. It's not going to be spring for a couple of months, leaving us to continue to soak up those winter blues for a little while longer. So, unless you are lucky enough to go to school where it's sunny and 75 no matter the season, you are stuck in winter for the time being. For some of us, this spring semester is our last, for some it's our first. Regardless of how many times spring semester has come around for you, there are some things that only seasoned veterans know about it. Here are few things you need to know about the stretch of semester before we get to enjoy a nice summer vacation.

1. If it's snowing, you're still going.

Sorry to burst any high school bubbles you may still be holding on to, but in college snow stops nothing. Those days of two hour delays or closings are few and far between. Unless a snowstorm from the North Pole blows through, you are most likely going to be attending classes. So I hope you have some snow boots and warm clothes because you're going to be needing them. Take it from me who has had snow tower over my head on the way to class. They don't kid around.

2. Always take harder classes in the fall.

I know we can't control what semester they put classes, but if there's one thing I know it's that when spring semester rolls around a spring fever, or a wish for summer, comes creeping in and makes us all want to do absolutely nothing but enjoy the warmer weather once it gets here. With that being said, always try and have less stressful classes scheduled for the spring. You'll be much happier.

3. Looking good won't always keep you warm.

Those cute high-heeled boots won't stop you from falling on your face when you live on a campus full of hills. My advice? When it's cold and bitter outside, it's okay if your outfit reflects that. Wear those fuzzy gloves your mom bought you and that huge scarf your grandma knitted you. Sacrifice fashion for warmth! And, upper classmen will most likely look at you like you're a freshman if you're looking very nice when it's crappy out.

4. Invest in a mug. And a Keurig. Or microwaveable hot chocolate or coffee.

Seriously. There's something about the cold weather that makes me, well cold, but also just groggy and I never want to leave my room. So if you feel like I do, a nice cup of hot chocolate or a caramel mocha does the trick to get me out of bed and out into the world. I save money by making my own instead of constantly buying coffee. I also have a single cup Keurig that saves my life often. If you don't have one and can't afford one, I'd start making friends. Or turn to my microwave.

5. It feels like it takes years to go by, but it ends too quickly.

Maybe it's because it's winter for half and spring for too short a time, but spring semester goes by crazy slow. And then like picks up before finals and suddenly it's over. So, try and make the most of it! Even when it's snowy. Go out, go sledding, don't miss out on the parties just because it's negative degrees outside. Okay, well maybe you can if it's that cold.

6. For some, this is our last semester.

Hold on to your senior friends tight because it won't be long before they're throwing their caps in the air and waving them like they just don't care. It may be the last time you'll see some of them, at least for a while if the world is a kind place. Make all the memories you can while you have the chance, because graduation will be here before we know it. So, just because it's your last semester, don't let it go by without some fun and friends and some memories that you can remember while you're slaving away at work for the rest of your life.

7. Don't forget to enjoy it.

We seem to get into this routine of waking up, going to class, doing homework, repeat. We go out on weekends. We sleep a lot but always wish for more. But, let spring semester be the best. Let this one be the best one yet! College goes by so quickly and I can attest to that. Enjoy every second of it, even when it's snowy and freezing. There will be a day when all you want is to go back to these moments.

So, hello spring semester! A new year, a new semester for us all to fill with stories we can share and some we wish we didn't remember.