What I Wish I Had Known My First Year Of College | The Odyssey Online

What I Wish I Had Known My First Year Of College

Tricks to surviving freshman year

14
Cassi Pinyan

Moving out, leaving your friend group that you've grown up with for years and figuring out what you want to do for the rest of your life is a lot to take in at one time. Moving into your first year of college can be incredibly emotional and overwhelming. Sometimes it's nice to know that you aren't alone when you're going through all of these life changes. Here are some of the things I wish I had known my first year of college in an attempt to help you conquer this new year:

1. Go to Week of Welcome Events.

I know it's hard to find the energy and the time between getting your classes together, your books in order and crying because you've left all of your pets (and family) at home. Still, go to the welcome events that your school has -- you'll meet new people, learn about activities you never knew existed and might even find your little niche on a large campus (shout-out to my Marching Tar Heels!).

2. Learn about campus resources and use them!

OK, this sounds like common sense, but understand that for larger universities, there are tons of resources to help you succeed. This year is going to be hard transitioning emotionally and academically. As someone who graduated in the top of my class and took all the APs offered in high school, I can tell you I still didn't feel prepared taking on the crazy sciences at UNC. I spent half of my first semester crying at the foreign symbols of my biology textbook until I found an incredible mentor at the Learning Center (you rock, Robin). I not only passed but actually understood the concepts. Find resources that work for you and use them!

3. Make time to sleep.

OK, not trying to be your mom, but sleep is actually much more important than you think. Not only do studies show that you perform better in classes, on exams and as an overall human being when you're rested, but falling asleep in class is also a good way to have plenty of unattractive Snapchats all over your friends stories. Odds are, your professor will also notice, and that's never a good thing -- so go to bed!

4. Take classes outside of your major.

The great part of a liberal-arts education is the opportunity to take classes outside of your major. Some of my favorite classes my first year were in subjects I had never been exposed to before. You never know, that extra English class or first-year seminar in astronomy might turn out to be your new passion and lead to an incredible career.

5. Remember that this time in your life is time you won't ever get back.

Never take these few college years for granted! The classes will be hard and you will miss your family like crazy, but make sure you take time to form new relationships and make new memories. These really are some of the best few years of your life, so enjoy them!