What We've Accomplished From Standing Up As We Sit Down

Home of The Brave

5

The Star Spangled Banner was determined by Congress in 1931, to be The National Anthem. It is the song sung before sporting events, initially being sung at baseball games and followed by a tradition adopted by other sports. Everyone is called to rise, and since grade school we were taught to put our hand over our chest and sing the words. One online definition from an unidentified states that an anthem is “a solemn patriotic song officially adopted by a country as an expression of national identity”; Webster’s dictionary defines national anthem as: a song that praises a particular country and that is officially accepted as the country's song. But what if instead of people rising when asked before the anthem begins, people sit down to stand up for their beliefs?

Who would have imagined that not one or two would be choosing not to participate, but several football team members, from varying teams, bonding together with the same decision? And what does it mean? Is it standing in solidarity with the first football player to choose not to participate? Or does it mean something more? Or something less?

The controversy over those who have recently chosen to not participate in the historical tradition of crossing one hand over heart during the singing of the National Anthem is growing in popularity. You can read about it in newspapers, you can google it or read about it on all forms of social media, with people expressing their opinions about whether it is right or wrong to be doing.

In reflecting on what our US flag means to me and my family, my mind goes quickly to family members who have been in the service. Those related to me who were willing to put their life on the line for our country. And the National Anthem is a song commemorating that the US military people fought hard, and their fight allowed the US flag to still stand. There is something about that last line when everyone sings “and the home of the” then yells “BRAVE!” that seems to really get audiences engaged at sporting events.

It should not be a dividing factor if someone, or more than one, does not embrace the song through the same eyes; it should be an indication that more listening needs to be happening. Coming together to make changes is what is needed just like when many came together throughout history to make America solid. So many things right now are dividing our nation’s people, which makes it even more necessary to find a point where understanding can lead to unity. We can no longer look for reasons to sit apart from each other, or sitting in small groups separate from other groups; neither facilitates strength or healing, but kindness does.

Perhaps kindness will lead the way back to getting America on it’s feet.