27 Essential Items Every College Girl Needs On A Road Trip

If you forget the aux cord, it's going to be a long ride.

39
Travel AARP

This summer, I was blessed with the opportunity to go on an adventure with six of my friends to New Mexico! After 30+ hours of driving from Wichita, Kansas and back, we were able to go home with many stories and memories to share with our families and friends. Nonetheless, we wouldn't have been able to do that without preparing ourselves first and making sure we had all the essentials we needed to have an enjoyable AND safe trip.

Here are just some things that you might want to bring for your road trip!

1. Water

It is SO IMPORTANT to keep hydrated along the way on your road trip. It doesn't matter how many stops you have to take to go to the restroom, keep chuggin'. We brought two extra cases of water with us just in case we were to get stuck on the road. Better safe than sorry!

2. First-Aid Kit

Invest or compile a solid first-aid kit! This is one of the MOST IMPORTANT things you can bring! From band-aids to medicine, you never know what could happen! The number of times my friends and I had to use motion sickness medicine was too much to count. Nevertheless, it helped us feel more comfortable and just overall better.

3. Snacks

Beef Jerky, Slim-Jim, veggies, fruit, anything! Packing your own food keeps you from spending on unnecessary items along the way that are usually more expensive. Try to AVOID junk food or food that makes you feel gross and sluggish. It's best to be as comfy as possible and the things you put in your body can affect how you feel throughout the day!

4. Printed Maps

Maps are great to keep on-hand in your glove box just in case you don't have service on your phone or your navigator gets busted.

5. Extra Cash

For gas, food, emergencies, etc! It's better to be safe than sorry!

6. Games

Entertainment in the car keeps the mood alive and happy! Trust me, the license plate game gets old real quick.

7. Music

Listen to your favorite jams! Keep the volume at an appropriate level just for safety issues. It's good to have fun, but it's more important to be attentive and aware of your surroundings by not having too many distractions.

8. Spare Key

I had someone else keep the spare key and it became extremely helpful when we lost the car keys one day.

9. Pillows and Blankets

Again, try to be as comfortable as possible! This is also very useful if you (God forbid) get stranded somewhere. It'll keep you warm and comfy while help is on its way.

10. Wipes

Antibacterial wipes, baby wipes, anything! It can get pretty messy in the car in a short period of time and having a clean environment helps for less chaos and stress.

11. Small Plastic Bags

You can put trash in here... or use it if someone decides that having TacoBell for lunch wasn't actually a good idea and throws up. Good luck.

12. Paper Towels

^^For the kid that threw up

13. Coins for Tolls

Always keep a good chunk of change for tolls!

14. AUX Cord

'Tis Mandatory. Need I say more?

15. Portable Charger

I always had this bad boy with me at all times! Make sure to have it fully charged before you leave for your trip!

16. ID & Insurance Card

Important stuff, DON'T FORGET IT.

17. Jumper Cables

These can help you jumpstart your car when your battery is dead!

18. Toilet Paper

For that one gas station that forgot to refill the toilet paper

19. Swiss Army Knife or Multi Tool

These are super handy and save a lot of weight and room in your vehicle!

20. Flashlight

This will save you from wasting battery life from the flashlight on your phone! Seems basic, but very helpful!

21. Sunglasses

Again, it's important to be comfortable on your road trip. Squinting from the brightness and struggling to see when you drive is not a good idea when you're on the road.

22. USB Car Charger

Charge, charge, charge!!!

23. Tire Gauge

Checking the air pressure in your tires is like flossing. Not everyone does it, but it's super important. You don't want it too high or too low. Take care of your tires, and you'll get to your destination!

24. AAA Card

Just bring it, you'll thank yourself later.

25. Earphones

Sometimes you just want to block the world out and stare out the window to enjoy the scenery! There is so much beauty in the world so take time and just soak it all in!

26. Deodorant

Boiiiiii, do I even have to elaborate on why?

27. Pepper Spray

Road trips are fun and all, but don't ever let your guard down! Watch out for one another and be aware of your surroundings!