Give Them What They Want

Give Them What They Want

It's natural for us to want to bend the truth if it is convenient for us and will delay the inevitability of telling the truth to someone we may not be ready to tell the truth to.

27
Give Them What They Want
Russ - Youtube

The concept of truth is a very malleable and honestly at the same time fragile thing in modern society especially among college students. It's natural for us to want to bend the truth if it is convenient for us and will delay the inevitability of telling the truth to someone we may not be ready to tell the truth to.

This is most common with our parents, the amount of lies I'm sure everyone reading this has told them, but it is interesting when it is done among peers. It's honestly a scary thought how widely accepted it is to basically just tell a completely fabricated story about yourself and have someone else in front of you stare you down with awe because they're amazed that you apparently hiked a mountain in a couple hours, up and down.

One of the main things that makes America thrive and prosper as a society is the attention to individuality that is given to children at such a young age. At a very innocent and raw time for all of us, we are taught that it is essential to love ourselves, love ourselves more than anything and to embrace who we really are because it is something that cannot accept us.

As Tyrion said, "don't forget what you are, the rest of the world won't, wear it as armor and it can never be used against you." So where is this armor for a lot of us, why is it hidden behind a veil of lies and secrets that we tell each other to hide away from each other. It all seems hypocritical that a society that is so heavily structured on the sense of human individuality and prosperity of a human being can allow kids everywhere to just lie their way out of situations and make situations easier for themselves because lying can make you calm down in the moment and can make a peer think you're "way cooler" than you actually are.

But it's also how OK with it we are as individuals that creates the wide acceptance of the concept of fabrication and white lies that may or may not have a difference in the life of someone but it can provide a brief moment of happiness that can greatly help a person. People everywhere will praise themselves in their individual personalities because of their uniqueness and what they have to offer to any potential friends. However this same self praise is overshadowed by this underlying fear that there is a chance that someone will not like all my quirks so I'll have to just make it seem like I'm better than I actually am. It's a paradoxical and hypocritical situation as we live a life that makes us so proud to be what we are but we hide the real "us" from other people around us every single day because we fear what may come out of it.

But when it comes to the end of it, I do it too, and it's not something that will just stop from a small article or post, and it's not something that many will even consider wrong. The only thing to think about is that one of the main things we are wired to do as kids and still persists in our minds every single day, is something that we turn our back on so often and at this point, we're pretty much just numb to it.