What Sisterhood Means | The Odyssey Online

What Sisterhood Means

The importance of the irreplaceable bond that a sorority sisterhood is.

27
What Sisterhood Means
Molly Riley

This semester, I am beginning my senior year. How I made it this far, I do not know. But I know I couldn’t have made it if I didn’t have the support system I call my sorority. They have been by my side in more ways than I could have imagined when I began my college career.

As a freshman, I was ecstatic about recruitment, considering I’m a pretty social person who just loves meeting others and talking to new people. However, I was also terrified. I had only heard horror stories of the kind of hazing that took place at big schools. The scenarios my older friends had described to me left me anxious and worried. Although none of those tales took place at my then future college, they did take place at similar universities. Despite my fears, I decided to go through recruitment, and if need be, I would drop out when hazing became too big of a problem.

Needless to say, I never dropped. I never even considered dropping. From the moment I put on my first lettered shirt, to now, I have been thankful. I am thankful for my Big Sister, who has only spoiled me with love, kindness, patience and understanding. Never did she once make me feel insecure or like I was worth less than my older sisters. She has always answered whatever questions I have had and listened to whatever issue I need to workout without any judgment. As she says “There is no problem too big or too small,” to come to her with, and I truly believe that.

Along with my Big Sister, what my sorority has brought to me is immeasurable. I have acquired the kind of friends that most people only wish for.

The kind that drive hours out of the way to pick you up from the airport. The kind that hold you together as you break down completely. The kind that knows you well enough to buy your favorite candy when you’re sad and leave you sweet notes to make your day better. I have been inspired by my sisters to travel the world, to reach outside of my comfort zone and to study harder than I ever thought I could. I have been given role models and best friends. What Greek Life has given to me is irreplaceable.

We all know that nationwide, Greek Life has earned itself plenty of attention from the media. Granted, some of this attention is positive philanthropic accomplishments, but most of it is negative. When one Greek organization makes a mistake, we all take a hit. I mean that in every way possible. When a Greek member passes, we all suffer. When an organization makes the wrong decision, we all feel the consequences. We accept that, or we would not continue to be a part of Greek life.

We know that not every person in a Greek organization is what we want them to be. We know organizations make poor choices, and one individual’s actions can reflect on the entire chapter. But we also know what the media doesn’t cover. We know the long nights of sitting with our sisters, talking about our families and home lives. We know the tears we have wept for our sisters and wiped off of our sisters. We know the motivation our sisters give us. We know the love they share with us. We know the feeling we get when we talk about our sisterhood and mean every single word we say. We know our genuine bond and unmatched connection to one another.

We are called a sisterhood for a reason; it’s not just a word we throw around during recruitment. It has more significance than I could even describe. To be honest, the only way to fully understand sisterhood is to experience being a part of one yourself because once you are involved in a Greek organization with a true connection, you won’t know how you ever went without one.