What I Learned My Sophomore Year

What I Learned My Sophomore Year

Because year number two can be just as informative as the first.

10
What I Learned My Sophomore Year
Shutterstock

It's the end of the semester, and with it will come a slew of articles about what new college kids learned their freshman year. While freshman year is absolutely a year of learning and finding who you are, sophomore year can be that even more so.

It's a weird year where you're no longer a freshman, so you're not the youngest. But you're also almost a junior, so you dangle in this odd limbo that can make you feel a little lost or scared. Sophomore year can be the year that you grow into the person you want to be even more and find out what you really want to do.

You find your friend group and your place on campus, or you can get a little sidetracked. Either way, sophomore year will bring a lot of things. I know mine did.

1. It's Okay to Feel Lost

Weirdly, I never felt this my freshman year. I don't know if I'm in the minority or my school was just very welcoming, but I've never felt as lost or confused in regards to my life path until this year. It can be heartbreaking and very confusing, but pushing through it is absolutely important. There were many times this year that I felt like giving up and going home because I didn't think I could do it anymore. Resist the urge to give up and keep going.

2. You Might Lose Friends (And Gain New Ones)

You generally make a lot of friends your freshman year, as you're trying to find the friend group you falling naturally into. You'll keep in touch over the summer and pick up where you left off at the beginning of sophomore year. But sometimes, things change, schedules are different, and you just don't have time for each other anymore.

Or you realize that you were really only friends with that person because they were friends with your other friends. This is natural and it's okay. Sometimes we have to let go of people. It just happens. And sometimes, new, exciting people come into your life and you begin to wonder how you ever lived without them. It's okay to lose friends and find new ones. It's all a part of college.

3. You Might Fail A Class (Or Come Close)

Sh*t happens, right? Sophomore year is a crazy time of finding yourself and getting back into the routine of work, school, and extracurriculars. Sometimes in there, you slack a little or even when you try your hardest, you don't get the grade you wanted. Although this can happen any time during college, sophomore year definitely taught me that there's more to learn in classes and more to gain from them than an A.

Sure, getting a high GPA and being on Dean's List is great. But accomplishing goals outside of the syllabus is worth it. Sometimes your GPA can slip and you fail a class (or get a D and wonder how the eff you got there). It happens! The best thing to do is to remind yourself that it's one class and you will do better next semester. Everything can be a positive learning experience.

4. I Am Still Growing

Of course, I knew this. I knew this going into college the first year, that I was still growing exponentially. I would probably not be the same person I was when I came out of it. But I also realized this year that I haven't stopped growing yet. I still have many years to come before I'm 'fully mature'. And honestly, I may never stop growing.

The world is continuously changing and evolving, and we have to evolve along with it. That's just a reality of life. I grew a lot this year and learned quite a bit about myself, even if I didn't anticipate this growth.

5. It Is Okay to Say No

There were a lot of expectations going into sophomore year. A lot of people try to get a leg up on everything by taking extra classes, doing internships early on, or working multiple jobs. That's great and should definitely be encouraged! Taking opportunities that come your way is never a bad thing! But your boundaries and comfort should always be respected in regards to work. If you pile too much onto yourself, you'll eventually become burned out and it'll be hard to get anything done. Learning to turn down opportunities is not a bad thing. If it would negatively affect you, there's no reason to say yes. Sometimes saying no can lead to bigger and better opportunities when you're more prepared and ready.

6. Stop Comparing Yourself to Others

This year, I learned something major about myself in regards to my career path: I want to focus more on acting! Before college, I had only dreamed of being an actress professionally and never took the thought seriously.

Acting was just never a career option in the small town I grew up in. This also meant that I hadn't ever taken action to make this dream a reality, and when I started going to my theatre classes, everyone else had a least a little more experience than me. Suddenly, I felt like a very small fish in a giant pond. I began to worry that I had started too late, that I would never compare, that I would never be as good as my peers.

But eventually I realized that everyone starts somewhere. Literally everyone started at the bottom at one point. And that's okay. The most important thing you can do when you're faced with people who are more skilled in a certain area than you is find the hunger inside of you, and use that to your advantage. Ambition can go a lot farther than just talent alone.

If you're willing to put in the effort to catch up or pass those people, it will be worth it in the end and you'll be rewarded. So don't compare yourself and your achievements to others. We are different humans and we have all started in different spots. Focus on reaching your end goal.