What I've Learned From People Truly In Love | The Odyssey Online

What I've Learned From People Truly In Love

They were in their own little world. They laughed. They snuck kisses in whenever they could, like giddy teenagers. I was in awe.

14
Lauren Buchanan

One year ago, I was in bed eating what would end up being a whole cheesecake because I did not know what I was doing over the summer. I had applied to more than 100 internships across the country and felt like I was at an all-time low. All of a sudden, my phone lit up, and my face did too.

I learned that I finally scored an internship at a television station in Louisville, Kentucky. I had never been to Louisville. I did not know a soul in Louisville. I had one week to figure out a living situation, and that was finals week. My mom and boyfriend at the time were helping me out on my apartment hunt. There was no luck, until I received a crazy call from my mom.

"You're staying with a couple from a Church of Christ down in Kentucky."

"Mom, do we know these people?"

"No, but they seemed really nice and offered to take you in as long as you chip in some money to help with food and bills."

I was knee-deep in final projects and studying. I did not have time to think twice. I was staying with a random couple in Louisville. I did not have time to wonder if they were serial killers, nudists, or hoarders. I only knew that their names were Phyllis and Dale, and little did I know that they would become my role models in life and love.

Finals wrapped up. I went on a shopping spree so I could dress up every day at my internship without looking like a cartoon character, wearing the same things all the time. I packed up my stuff, said my goodbyes to Ohio, and went to Kentucky for a three-month adventure.

After driving for six hours, I pulled up to a beautiful home and I could feel warmth coming from the house just standing in the driveway. Not the warmth of a hot day in the South, but the warmth that makes a house a home. Phyllis and Dale weren't there at the time, but they made sure I could get in. I walked in to look around before grabbing any of my bags. You know, I had to check up on the serial killer, nudist, and hoarding fears I had. All of those fears dwindled to shock and awe. I was in awe of how cute their dog was and in shock with how many pictures of a beautiful family covered the walls. Eventually, I unpacked and got my life together. Then, Phyllis and Dale walked through the door.

They were an older couple. I chatted with them for a few minutes to learn the basics. Dale was a counselor with his church, and Phyllis was a secretary at the same church. How adorable! I wanted to listen to them tell their story, but I was exhausted and had to cut the conversation short so I didn't fall asleep and drool all over their couch or dog. That would not leave a good impression.

The next day, I woke up and went to my internship. I found out that day that I'd be working the night-side shift from 2:30 to 11:00 p.m. every weekday after that. This meant that I would only see Phyllis and Dale on weekends since they worked the normal 9-5.

I knew I had to make the most out of my weekends with Phyllis and Dale. And boy, I did. Over the next several weeks, I got to know their three daughters and four spunky grandchildren, and I went to church with them. Phyllis made me breakfast, lunch, and dinner when she totally didn't have to. These people really took me in and treated me better than some of my family would. People at the church would walk up to me every Sunday and tell me how lucky I was to be with Phyllis and Dale that summer. Watching the way Phyllis and Dale interacted together was one of my favorite things to do from afar. They were in their own little world. They laughed. They snuck kisses in whenever they could, like giddy teenagers. They would look at each other with "the look." They would hold hands and pray together. I was in awe. This family seemed perfect and like they have always had it all.

It took me until almost the end of my three months in this southern paradise to learn that wasn't true. Phyllis and Dale have now been married for more than 50 years, and over time, their patience has been stretched. Life has been far from perfect at times. They have picked up everything and moved across the country with kids so Dale could get a master's degree. They lost a son-in-law in a freak accident. They have been dirt poor. They have experienced tough times like anyone else. What made Phyllis and Dale different though? How has that marriage survived for more than half a century? I found out a sense of humor, a strong faith, compromise, and unconditional love are the pillars holding their life up.

Phyllis told me how it seemed like just yesterday Dale spontaneously proposed to her on a boat in college. From what I saw, the two never lost their spontaneity. In their 70s (which is apparently the new 20), they take their grandchildren to the zoo, go on retreats, study the Bible together, volunteer at a local elementary school, host family get-togethers, and never run out of things to talk about. Phyllis and Dale care so deeply for other people in life that I think it makes their marriage even stronger.

I envy Phyllis and Dale so much. I don't know if they know how much I care about them or how much I look up to the love in their hearts, not just for each other, but for others too. I went into my senior year of college with something different. Obviously a reassured faith in humanity and in God. But there was something else, and I didn't realize it until I got out of a toxic two-year relationship months later: I realized my self-worth.

I know I deserve someone that loves me like Phyllis and Dale love each other. I know I deserve someone who cares for others like Phyllis and Dale do. I know I deserve someone who will look at me in a few decades and still tell me that I'm the most beautiful person they know, just like Dale constantly said to Phyllis.

And to anyone reading this? You deserve it too. If you know two people truly in love, invest some time to talk to them about how they have made it work. I promise, it will warm your soul and make you realize that you're worthy of something just as wonderful.