What It's Like Being A Girl In a Majority Guy Major

Just a girl majoring in golf with 100 older brothers.

15

When I went to college, I had no idea that my class would end up being a 1:30 girl to guy ratio - with me being the only girl out of my class. The first few weeks were terrible for me, considering none of the guys wanted to talk to me. After those first few weeks they opened up to me and they have been my best friends since. For those wondering, I am majoring in Professional Golf Management, so I have been used to being surrounded by guys my whole life.

1. I Now Have 100 Older Brothers

I never had an older brother growing up, and I had always wanted one, so now I have about 100 of them! They treat me as a younger sister most of the time, picking on me and doing normal "brotherly" things, but they are some of the most well mannered group of guys that I have met. I literally love all my brothers.

2. I Sometimes Serve as Their Mom

Most of the time, it's sending a text to remind them we have a test tomorrow, or we have homework due in our 8 AM class, or, "Don't get too drunk tonight, and if you do you know who to call." Yes, I know how to do the homework, yes I will help you finish it. My favorite is when they jump in my car and then hit me with the, "oh yeah, I need a ride home," but I would not change it for anything.

3. These Guys Will Forever Be My Best Friends

It is true when they say you find your best friends in college, but most of the time they are of the same sex as you. Mine are not. They are my go to people, and some of them have served as my rock and have seen me at my worst through the first year and a half of college, and have been perfectly okay with it. Sometimes they don't even see me as a girl and just think I am on of them. On a Friday or Saturday night you can almost guarantee I am with a group of them.

4. They Have The Same Interests As Me

Clearly, we would not all be majoring in the same thing if we all did not have something in common. In our case, we all love golf and want to further our education in the golf industry. So whenever we are bored, we pile up and go out to the golf course, and sometimes take some anger out on beating golf balls on the range for a while. It is so easy to sit around with a group of people and talk when they have the same interests as you.

5. I'm So Thankful For Them

I don't think that I tell them enough how thankful I am for them. They know so much about me and I know so much about them, but I am truly thankful for the friendship they have given me so far in a year and a half of college. I know each and every single one of them would drop something they were doing if I needed help and they would not have a problem with it. So thank you to all my brothers and my best friends, y'all mean so much to me.