Happy Birthday, Detroit!

Happy Birthday, Detroit!

After 314 years, what is next for Detroit?

12
Happy Birthday, Detroit!

On July 24, the great city of Detroit will be celebrating its 314th birthday. This is a very important time of the year for anyone who lives, works or goes to school in Detroit, due to the immense pride that is shared by all for the city. While Detroit has seen the lowest of the lows, even filing for bankruptcy in 2013, the future of this great city looks brighter and brighter every day, regardless of the stereotypes and misconceptions coming from the outside.

Detroit, like everywhere, comes with stereotypes. Unfortunately, these stereotypes are very misguided and, in turn, greatly damage its reputation. Crime, shootings, poverty, and laziness are all commonly associated with Detroit. Like in every major city, these are all present, but they do not define it.

To say Detroit has had its hardships is a gross understatement. While it grew to one of the top five largest cities in the country, it has also plummeted to become the poster child for urban decay.

During the great boom of the automotive industry of the early to mid 1900s, the future looked bright. It expanded under the impression that the population would continue to grow, not fall at unprecedented rates. This all changed starting in the late 1970s. From 1979 to 2009, the US lost 8 million jobs in the manufacturing sector, mostly in the Midwest. As it is well known, this led to massive layoffs sending this city, which heavily relied on this industry, into deep poverty.

As everyone worried about what would come next, crime, gang activity and government corruption only made things worse. After years of struggle, the city of Detroit eventually filed for bankruptcy in 2013, with seemingly nowhere to go. However, from a first-person perspective, I can attest to how far this city has come in such a short amount of time, and how fast it is progressing toward a better future.

Because I go to school in Detroit, I am frequently asked by my peers, "Aren't you afraid you're going to get shot?" Really? That's the first question I'm asked? What they do not see is the thriving success of Midtown, Detroit, driven by local entrepreneurs, bars, restaurants, small manufacturers, and much more. They don't see the promise the near future holds within the new Red Wings Stadium and M1 rail, which will finally bridge the gap between Midtown and Downtown. They don't see how blessed I am to have the opportunity to live, work and go to school in one of the fastest growing cities in the nation, where I can walk 10 minutes to get my hair cut, meet local celebrities and network all at the same time. Most of all, they do not see the opportunity to be able to directly affect the lives of those around me.

Volunteering in the Detroit community has been some of the most fulfilling times I have spent in Detroit. While this city gives me so much to be thankful for, it is only right to help a few people along the way. In doing this, I have seen the optimistic heartbeat that drives this city. While some may still be struggling, they all see a brighter future ahead. Accompanying this is a great sense of pride each and every person takes in this city. Whether they take pride in their struggles, success, or anything else, they are proud.

While there is still great work to be done, there is no doubt that this city is headed in the right direction.

Happy birthday, Detroit.