What Gives You The Right To Speak? | The Odyssey Online

What Gives You The Right To Speak?

Watch your mouth.

14
What Gives You The Right To Speak?

With Trump in office and ‘the world coming to an end’ I say this; because he is America’s leader (and like him or not, we need to respect that), it does not mean you surrender your power or voice. To challenge authorities is where change happens, but I caution that what you want is entirely different from what is a necessity. Still, you shout for your opinion to be stated and heard. And others will shout over yours with theirs; and while all of this shouting is meant to get our wants and needs across, what is actually being heard?

I blame the lack of proper education in America. I believe it is the basis for all issues that need to be properly communicated and pondered on. Yet, people often confuse what an argument means and what it is supposed to do. It is not meant to discourage others, but to educate. I enjoy offering my opinions, but I then listen because what I will learn from what others think of my thoughts can help me acknowledge the fallacies in my thinking and help my ideas further develop.

This type of speech, though it does exist, is rare because schools don’t focus on critical thinking and problem solving. It is true when so many students question “why am I learning this?” is because what they are being taught is not something that can easily be applied to other situations. The school system neglects the imaginative way students can connect one thing to another and without being encouraged to make connections, they will grow close minded and not understand a world beyond their own, not being able to explore their thoughts and others.

Of course, all I really see is people speak with so much rage that they come off as disrespectful towards other perspectives. First off, you are not wrong, but you are also not right. Second, no one will listen to you if they feel they need to defend themselves. So leave the attitude behind. It's immature. But hate speeches are so common because Millennials are immune to the radical side of a spectrum. In order to reach to the majority that are the millennials, even more extreme measures are taken for each side of an issue to be 'heard' and essentially recruit followers. It is those few who are aware of the entire spectrum that see the problem with the propaganda displaying hate and false extremism. However, jumping to conclusions seems to be what America is best at lately (especially with the absence of critical thinking and problem solving taught in schools). I could go on with examples, but think about a time when you witnessed someone jump the gun or even you yourself did so without really grasping an understanding of all sides.

While some may disagree and believe that through protesting, and the propaganda they share on Facebook or even their own opinions shared throughout social media is a way to reach out to others, it's toxic to ignorant minds creating thoughts that are not their own. Why don’t I see people using their voices to, yes, state their stance on an issue, but to educate others so they can decide for themselves? People are desperate because ‘majority rules’ but through this method of advocacy, lies are being told and trust is broken. And I’m not saying protesting and propaganda are wrong, I simply want people to explore the difference between just advocacy and comments full of fallacies.

We are a community that creates a divide because we are too busy talking over each other. Speak up, yes, but listen too. You should want to learn from others as they should want to learn from you. Maybe then this is how your voice will actually be heard.