What Defines a Generation? | The Odyssey Online
Politics

What Defines a Generation?

Many don’t think of today’s generation and the challenges that we face.

96
What Defines a Generation?
Historia

When someone says the word “generation,” many often recall the heroic deeds of the generation who fought on the European fronts and the islands in the Pacific during WW2. Many people don’t think of today’s generation and the challenges that the people face.

Today’s generation is like all other generations in that it faces struggles. However, unlike previous generations, it faces struggles unlike those that have ever been known or heard of. With the ushering of the Digital Age, there are a variety of new technological advances and with them consequences.

A generation, as defined by the dictionary, is all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively. Since 1890, there has been a classification of the generations, starting with The Lost Generation – The Generation of 1914 -- and ending with Generation Z. These generations vary in the years that they are separated from, some being only 12 years, others as many as 20 years.

The world is very well aware of The Greatest Generation, which valiantly fought in Second World War. Both of my grandparents served in the war effort, with my grandfather serving in the War in the Pacific as a PFC and my grandmother as a welder in the Naval Shipyards. Reflecting on not only what they told me of the years prior, during and after the war.

Today the world is thankful that the menace of Fascism was quelled, but in its place another evil arose and from that evil more began to bloom. Each generation after the Greatest Generation there were many more to come, and they would all the fear of Communism spreading in the world.

So, they followed their past generations footsteps and fought to contain. These generations would fight in a war of espionage, proxy wars, and various other methods that avoided the traditional methods of confrontation through war.

In today’s society, the fear of Communism has long since faded, and in its place terrorism has emerged as the dominant threat. Today’s youth, which include Generations X, Y, and Z all have been involved in the fight against terrorism, both domestic and abroad.

This shadow of terrorism hides its face through many individuals, and various forms of communication. The most prominent of these forms of communication is social media behemoths, such as Twitter and Facebook. It is through these two websites that varying ideals are expressed and the terrorist bands are recruiting their latest members.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Levant are the most infamous terrorist group as it currently stands, and their members include people of multiple nationalities. Most notably, the recruits come from several nations with democratic governments such as Great Britain and the United States.

I believe that this war on Terrorism will define generations X, Y, and Z. This is the first time the world has seen foreign terrorism as a threat to the stability of not only one nation, but the entire globe. Whether the people opposing the current threat will succeed is up to several things which include determination, confidence and the will to do.

The people who are fighting either for the U.S. against terrorism domestic and abroad or as volunteers abroad will be the difference between a world engulfed in fear, or a world rid of terrorism.