What To Consider When You Are Debating 9-5 Or Travel | The Odyssey Online

What To Consider When You Are Debating 9-5 Or Travel

Travel.

12
www.jatrahotels.com

Post Grad, mid twenties, early thirties; we have all had the moment when we question what we are doing with our lives. Do we take that 9 to 5 job that will support us financially but we will probably get sick of at some point, or do we drop everything, get on a plane, travel the world, and never look back?

When you find yourself questioning what direction to go in there is a lot to consider. Yes, being financially stable is extremely important, but so is your mental health and experiencing all the world has to offer.

We don't realize how much is truly out there when we seclude ourselves to a typical day to day routine. The world is truly beautiful and there is so much more across the seas.

At the same time, the cost of living is expensive AF. Seriously $6 for a basic coffee at Starbucks. Six dollars, for coffee that has probably been sitting there for who knows how long. Currently complaining about this as I sit here in Starbucks drinking my $6 coffee and writing this article. Car payments. house payments. Tampons. Payments for things I didn't even know I had to pay for. Life is expensive.

Here's a major point to consider, if you do leave everything behind you and chose to travel the world, you're probably going to completely drain your life savings. The cost to travel is probably just as expensive as the cost of living though. So do you chose to work your ass off 9 to 5 just to be stable, or dump everything to experience a whole new world.

Nine to 5 jobs are, unfortunately, as boring as they sound, and especially post grad students, you probably aren't going to lead the head position at the company you've always dreamed of right off the bat. Do you tough it out and work that 9 to 5 until or travel first and then tough it out 9 to 5?

Here is another point to consider, working 9 to 5 will always be an option. We are fortunate enough to live in a great country that offers a lot of jobs for us to make a living for ourselves. Traveling the world is not always an option. Post grad students can do this whereas someone in their twenties, almost thirties may not have that option right now, especially if a family is involved.

You could dump your savings, travel the world and then come back and work your ass off 9 to 5 to make that money back and then become stable. Yes, that is going to take a lot of busting your ass but it may be worth it.

Working 9 to 5 is not a growing experience, it is more so apart of life that just has to happen when you are out of school and need something to do in order to survive. Traveling is a growing experience. Not many people can say that they have traveled the globe. You meet different people, experience different cultures, and taste new foods when you travel.

When you travel you have to learn how to survive in a whole new environment. It teaches you a lot about yourself and your values, it also makes you appreciate what you have and see the world in a whole new light. You learn what type of person you are internally. When you work 9 to 5 every day, you learn how to schedule and budget your time. You learn about finances and you basically learn how to be an adult.

Another point to consider, in order to be an adult you need to now who you truly are as a person. You need to have establish "YOU." Not everyone, regardless of age is ready to live the life of an adult when society says that they should. Experiences help us grow, the world has so many of those to offer.