What Being A Social Work Major Means To Me

Plymouth State University Social Work

442
twitter

I started college with an idea of what I thought social work was. My aunt is a social worker and she graduated from Plymouth State with her degree several years ago. I believed that social work was going to be a challenging line of work but I was unsure of how challenging. I also knew that social workers were underpaid for their work but I did not realize how much. Looking back on it now, I realize how little I actually did know about social work and I am so grateful that I took a chance and majored in it.

Being a social work major means that I will make a positive difference in someones life.

Whether it be by working in child protection or working with the elderly, I will always be striving to make life better for others.

Being a social work major means that I will see some hard, almost unbearable, things in life.

But I will work through my emotions to do my job. Working with children who have been sexually or physically abused will obviously effect me, but I will have to learn to deal with it and not let it stop me from continuing to do my job.

Being a social work major means lots and lots of essays.

It means writing and reflecting on what you've learned so far, and reflecting on how you can improve. And then reflecting again on how you have grown this semester.

Being a social work major means that I will have to put aside my own judgement's and bias to work with people I do not necessarily agree with.

The social work code of ethics will be my new best friend and it will help me decide what to do in an ethical dilemma.

Being a social work major means that I will never have to face anything alone.

I have my fellow students here to support me. The social work professors here at PSU are the most amazing people in the world. They answer all my questions and help guide you in the right direction. In the work force I will have supervisors and co workers who are there to help and support me.

Being a social worker is underrated.

You will work long hours and be pulled in many different directions. People usually will not be happy to see you at their doorstep. You will witness horrible cases of neglect and abuse and drug use. you will be underpaid for the amount of work that you do. But you will make a positive difference in someone's life. You will have an extremely rewarding job and if you are passionate about it you will succeed.

Being a social work major is not for everyone, but it is definitely for me.

After taking a lot of my social work classes at PSU, it has only reaffirmed my passion for this profession. I interned at the Pemi Youth Center for a year and I have grown as a person and a mentor. I have learned more than I ever could have imagined about myself and the people around me.

So thank you to all the people I have met at my time here this far that have shared my passion. Thank you to all the social workers out there who do what they have to to make people's lives better. Thank you to the child protective workers who work with the families to make the homes safer for children. Thank you to all of my professors who have believed in me and have watched me grow these past two years.