What Being A Nanny Has Taught Me

What Being A Nanny Has Taught Me

Finding good child care is hard; providing good child care is harder

53
What Being A Nanny Has Taught Me
Google Images

I love watching kids, no matter what age they may be. Mommy’s Helper, babysitter, nanny; you name it, I’ve done it. Ever since I was practically a child myself I always loved my ability to occupy a child’s attention span. It started with simply keeping my little cousins out of their parents' hair while they cooked, did laundry, or talked with their friends.

Being on the older end of the kids in my family meant that I was in charge of keeping the “little ones” entertained until dinner at family parties. As I got older I would drive to their house and give their parents the gift of a rare Date Night. After I got my license and I could drive myself around, I started caring for other families and not just my own.

In high school I started to volunteer to teach the preschool RE class at my Unitarian Universalist church. The kids were all between three and five years old, and they each had such unique personalities. They really were just like mini-adults. They each had things that they loved to do or things that made them mad. It might be my favorite age group to care for. You get snack time, nap time, and craft time. Sounds like a dream come true, if you ask me.

Children are funny creatures. They have such an innocent way of looking at the world that you can’t help but smile as they stand in front of you, babbling away. All you need to do is grin and nod your head as they tell you about the amazing fort they built that was really a cave that held a sleeping dragon, or the one time they dressed their dog up in people clothes.

Children are demanding. They require a lot and it’s your job to put their needs ahead of your own. They want to watch "Sesame Street" while you want "American Horror Story?" Too bad, you’ve got to hand over the remote. You want to stay outside on the patio but they want to swim in the indoor pool? Oh well, no tan for you. Tired of eating leftover chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese for lunch? (Actually, forget that last one—I will never get tired of chicken nuggets and Kraft Mac.) And if they each have a different activity that all happen at the same time, you still need to get them there on time. Good luck.

Children are forgiving.* They are okay if you used strawberry jelly instead of grape on their PB&J sandwich, or if you forgot to cut the crust off.* But beware: they will never forgive you if you ate the last of the Goldfish crackers. That will immediately result in a Mega-Meltdown and subsequent trip to the grocery store.

Children are teachers. I always learn so much for the kids I watch. The young ones teach me not to lose my imagination and creativity. The older ones teach me how to use my phone after it gets a software update. Sometimes they teach you important life lessons, and other times they teach you how to work the microwave. Simple, I know, but a teacher is a teacher no matter the lesson plan.

I love every single family I work for. I love the parents, and I like that I get to give them time for themselves. I love the kids I watch, no matter how old or young, no matter how long or how briefly I've known them. Sure, you’ll always get that one kid who never sleeps and is always grumpy; the picky eater; the kid who thinks he's too old for a babysitter; or the kid who always disappears whenever you turn your back. But you learn to love every last kid for exactly who they are.

And if you’re lucky, they even love you back.