What Being a Hunter Has Taught Me About Life | The Odyssey Online

What Being a Hunter Has Taught Me About Life

It's not for the joy of killing, but for the joy of living.

137

Ever since I can remember I have done something that was affiliated with hunting. Whether it was hunting deer, turkeys, or training hunting dogs; I can't remember a week in my life that I did not participate in at least one of those activities.

Until recently, I never really noticed what being a hunter had done for me. At first it was all about the achievements: killing the biggest buck, shooting the most doves, or our dog treeing the most squirrels. Now don't get me wrong, I still set out to accomplish those goals, but I have realized I have taught myself life lessons outside of hunting.

The most obvious thing that hunting has taught me is the art of patience. If you want to be an outdoorsman, you must be patient on at least some level, and after many years of continuing your endeavors outdoors your patience will only grow. In my entire life, I never had a delay cause me to become stressed out, and I credit that entirely to being a hunter.

Taco Bell drive-thru is moving slow? Not a problem.

My girlfriend (that I don't actually have) is taking too long to get ready? That's a thing girlfriends do right? Anyways...it wouldn't be a problem.

I can handle all of this because I know what it's like to sit around for hours at a time and wait for absolutely nothing to happen. It's called hunting. No matter how long you have to wait, eventually something good is going to happen. Whether it's waiting on a big buck or waiting for a new job offer to arise. Patience is key to getting what you want.

Other than just making life a little easier, hunting has taught me some things to make life much more enjoyable. Because of hunting, I appreciate every little thing that happens in life.

During hunting season, while most people my age are sleeping, I am up well before sunrise, getting ready to make my way to the woods. Don't get me wrong, I like to sleep, and if you stop by the Sigma Chi house on any given weekday at noon, I am probably fast asleep on my couch. But those mornings I do wake up and go to the woods to hunt are the mornings I will treasure for a lifetime.

There is absolutely nothing more beautiful in this world than sitting in a tree stand on a chilly Southern morning, watching the sun rise over the tall pine trees. For lack of better words, it's magical. Watching stuff like that makes you appreciate the little things out of life that most people take for granted.

Because of my love for hunting, the one thing I will never take for granted is the importance of family and friends. Most of my greatest memories with my friends and family are times we spent hunting together. It's so much different then a family vacation or going out to the bar. It's an experience that cannot be explained but can only be felt when you share it with someone you care about.

Basically, every memory I've made that's worth remembering, every lesson I was taught, and most of my accomplishments are all directly related to being a hunter. That is why it is something I will always love and carry on in my family for years to come.

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison; - Genesis 27:3