What Animals Teach Us | The Odyssey Online

What Animals Teach Us

My recent trip to the zoo got me thinking.

38
What Animals Teach Us
Expedia

I went to the zoo on Saturday. It was a fun day spent with friends, a great way to end my summer vacation. Who else can say they spent their last weekend of summer taking selfies with flamingos, feeding giraffes, and riding on a camel? I'd gone to the zoo fairly often as a child; it was neat revisiting my childhood by going to the zoo. But there was something different about this trip to the zoo. Watching the animals, it got me thinking. Call me crazy, call me Dr. Dolittle, but we can learn a lot about animals. Here are just a few examples...

1. Penguins.

These flightless birds are so stinkin' cute. They'd waddle to the edge of the rocks, then belly flop into the water, where they swim gracefully. To get out of the water, they wiggle their bodies and hop back onto the rock. As people, we all have our own God-given talents. We all have our comfort zones. Share your talents with the world, but don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone.

2. Lions.

There was a sign at the lion exhibit warning visitors that the two male lions might fight, because they were learning how to share space. Thankfully, all we saw the lions do was lay around next to each other. It can be hard sometimes, to get along with everyone. But it's not impossible. All you have to do is be understanding and stay true to who you are, but be aware that sometimes a little compromise is needed in order to reach a happy medium.

3. Monkeys.

A person can learn a lot from these goofy creatures. There's a time to lay around, and also a time to have fun. Don't be afraid to be a little goofy sometimes. It doesn't matter what others think of you, so long as you're proud of who you are - who God made you to be. It's easy to take life too seriously. It's important, even in the hard times, that we make time for fun. God wants us to experience His joy; making time for laughter and friendship helps us to do so.

4. Turtles.

It's true what they say, slow and steady wins the race. Life is already short and full of distractions. We should all strive to take time each day to slow down and breathe. Eliminate distractions, breathe, pray, quiet our minds. On this journey of life, let's all take things slowly, enjoying the surprises along the way. Life is about the journey, not just the destination.

5. Flamingos.

Flamingos sleep on one leg, with their head curled on their back. If this isn't an example of making the most of what you have, I don't know what is. Sometimes in life, we might wish for more than what we have. But it's important to make the most of every situation and make the best out of what we have. Stay close to your family, to those who support you. Being grateful for the people and things in your life helps you live a balanced life.

And so, next time you go to the zoo, pay more attention to the animals. You'll be surprised at what life lessons you can learn from God's creatures.