Welcome to Peachtree City | The Odyssey Online

Welcome to Peachtree City

The Top 10 Things All Locals Know to be True

66
Welcome to Peachtree City
Valdosta.edu

Peachtree City, GA is just south of Atlanta and was recently listed as one of the 10 happiest places to live in Georgia. Because it is my hometown, I can agree. Peachtree City is a unique community filled with golf carts, a growing movie industry, and genuinely good people. It is only now that I am gone that I miss it. Here are a few things that anyone who has ever lived in Peachtree City knows all too well.

1. Golf carts, more commonly referred to as “g-whips" by the locals, are our main source of transportation. We take our golf carts everywhere. Stores, school, sporting events and occasionally a real golf course. Golf carts are Peachtree City’s main claim to fame. After all, it’s not everyday that you drive by a high school with roughly 200 golf carts parked in front of it.
  2. Our home is also referred to as “The Bubble." Each person probably has his or her own interpretation of this name; however, I think it that it can best be explained as a world within itself.

3. Despite the 35,000+ residents, everyone seems to know everyone. This turns out to be both a blessing and a curse. Gossip spreads faster than wildfire, but at the same time there are always people who you can depend on. Whether they are friends, family, neighbors or people you don’t know, everyone is willing to help out. If people are ever in any sort of need, whether it is mental, physical or financial, they can be at ease knowing that they have an entire community to support them.
  4. A majority of people work for an airline company (probably Delta), so be prepared to hear someone talk about their casual weekend trip to some big city.

5. You can’t find any places to go after 10 pm. There are none. Take my advice: save your time and your money and go to Waffle House. You'll probably see at least 5 other people you know, and you'll make friends with the server if you go every week.

6. The name is misconceiving. The city of peach trees. There are few, if any, peach trees, and it is not the first place that comes to mind when you think of a city. The Atlanta suburb is technically a small city; however, there are no high rises or other ‘typical city traits.'

7. If you want to go to Lizard Thicket’s semi-annual sale, make sure you get there incredibly early. It’ll be a long wait and a chaotic shopping extravaganza, but it’ll be worth it. It's basically a mini Black Friday at the end of the summer and winter.

8. There is no way to prepare for the rare yet anticipated/dreaded/crazy snowstorm. And by snowstorm, I mean maybe 3 or 4 inches of snow. Tops. It’s not our fault that we live in the South and don’t have equipment for snow and ice. At the first mention of possible snow, get ready to run to the grocery store if you want milk or bread. It’s actually really funny how fast that stuff flies off the shelf. Also, get ready for school to be canceled for at least a week. Snowpocalypse 2014, you will always be remembered.

9. The chances are pretty high that you will see someone famous around town - either an actor or actress from a movie being filmed at Pinewood Studios or from The Walking Dead.

10. Despite its ups and downs, Peachtree City will always hold a special place in your heart.