My Week In Maui | The Odyssey Online

My Week In Maui

Vacation in paradise!

11
My Week In Maui
Erica Melendez

This week in Maui has been one of the most adventurous vacations! There are so many different sights to see on this island you would hardly believe your eyes. I have had the most wonderful experience here and I would like to share my week with you!

Monday: We left DFW at 11:00 a.m., after an eight-hour flight, we arrived in Maui at 3 p.m. Hawaii time! The time change immediately threw me off. I was expecting it to be dark outside when I stepped off the plane. Then we went to the hotel, ate dinner, and tried to stay awake till at least 9:00 p.m.

Tuesday: We woke at 5:30 a.m. to go on an excursion to the Road to Hana! It was a long adventurous ride with 617 curves, 52 miles, and 36 bridges. Not to mention the roads were super bumpy and one way! Those bridges were pretty interesting. However, the sights were gorgeous. We were able to see beautiful waterfalls, black sand beaches, many different types of plants, eat breakfast at a beautiful golf course and see the seven sacred pools. In this seven-hour excursion, we experienced more things than some people do in their whole trip to Hawaii. Not to mention, our tour guide was born and raised in Maui; therefore, we were able to hear stories of life on the island and the different stories of demigods and how the island came to be.

Wednesday: The only thing we had planned for this day was the Luau that night. We were about to catch up on some sleep and enjoy the scenery of Maui. I went swimming and tanning for three hours, or so the morning had some awesome Hawaiian pizza for lunch, and then went shopping around the area! I got some souvenirs for my family and friends and then returned to the hotel to get ready for the Luau. The Luau was an incredible experience. The food was very different but good! We were able to see the hula dancers, listen to Hawaiian music, hear stories of how the islands came about and the history on each one through song and dance. It was an event that most people should experience at least once!

Thursday: Haleakala National Park. This national park is home to the Haleakala Crater, which is a beautiful sight. It is an hour drive up to the top of the mountain which is 10,023 feet above sea level. You are seriously standing above the clouds. In some parts of the drive, you are even driving through a cloud! After we got off of the mountain we went to a local town for lunch and looked around in the local shops. Then we went to Ioa Valley, which is pronounced (Ee-Ow). Ioa Valley is an extinct volcano that has been overgrown with vegetation and that is why people call it a valley. It was fun to say I have been in an extinct volcano (because I really don’t want to be in an active one)! Later that night we went home and went to bed to get ready for our next excursion!

Friday: SNORKELING! Bri and I went to Lahaina Harbor where we met our boat captain to go snorkeling on Lanai Island. Lanai has a population of 3,500 people and it is absolutely beautiful. The water is so blue and clear. We saw many different species of fish, including the state fish, the Humahumanukanukaapuaa! I am not even kidding, that is the name of the fish. It looks like a little fish with a pig snout! Ha! Then we were dropped off on the island and took the 15-minute walk to the beach which is near the Four Seasons Resort. One of the top five most beautiful beaches in the world, and it is hard to disagree. The blue waters and the white sandy beach was hard to compare to any other beach I have to see. After three hours on that beach, we went back on the boat to Lahaina Harbor. That boat ride was something! We went through the area that is nicknamed “The Washing Machine” because of the different swells that meet in that area and it was so much fun! It was like a roller coaster on every wave we went over. But the fun didn’t end there. When we got back to the harbor, dinner was at Bubba Gumps. If you have not been to a Bubba Gumps but have seen the movie Forrest Gump, it is somewhere you should go eat! The atmosphere is great and the food amazing, too, I had the best Shrimp Po’boy! After dinner, it was time to shower and get ready for bed!

Saturday: TODAY! We went to a restaurant called Slappy Cakes where you make your pancakes right in front of you! You can spell your name, make them into characters, make funky shapes, or simply make circular pancakes! I put macadamia nuts and chocolate chips in my pancakes and they were very delicious. I even got to talk to some Hawaiian police officers (also known as Hawaii Five-O!) If you know how much I respect law enforcement you would understand how excited I was to meet them! Now we are currently sitting on the airplane heading to our next stop, the island of Kauai! I will update you next week on all the fun we have on this island! But for now…

A HUI HOU