A Week In The Life Of An Odyssey Editor-In-Chief As Told By Mean Girls

Being an EIC is so...fetch.

15
Carol

We all have our rituals, our habits, our day-to-day and week-to-week schedules. Some of us have the same boring life week after week. Others of us enjoy spontaneity and constant change. Either option is totally cool; everyone is different. Since accepting the role as Editor-In-Chief for Odyssey, I've learned to appreciate the differences in every day, in every week. There's always something new to approach, to accomplish, but a lot of being an EIC involves the same weekly process. This not only helps us keep a bearing of our constant flow of responsibilities, but it allows our over-watching Content Strategists to know where we are at all times in case they have to execute a rescue mission. A repeating process every week also provides a comfortable and familiar setting for every Creator; it makes everyone's life easier.

There are certain things an EIC will experience every week despite the circumstances. In no way do these experiences lessen our love and commitment for the role. Here is an inside look at a week in the life of an Odyssey Editor-In-Chief.

Monday

This is the day that articles begin going live for the world to see! By noon on Monday, we'll receive the inevitable "my article hasn't been published yet, will it ever go live?" text from a Creator.

Monday is also the day where we attempt to encourage our Creators to share each other's articles so that each article will receive the same number of shares as there are people in the Community because that just makes so much sense but it's just hopeless so one of these Mondays we will give up.

Tuesday

The remaining articles go live today because the poor Content Strategists are not robots unfortunately and can only read and edit so fast. We did it! All the articles are LIVE!

Tuesday is the perfect day to start a controversial topic in GroupMe to stimulate the Creators' brains and get the juices flowing for their next topic idea.

Wednesday

Today we send out reminders to keep the articles flowing through the social media universe so they don't flatline before Friday. Share! Interact! Discuss!

Wednesday is also Topic Deadline day, so Creators need to submit their next topic by 11:59 PM. Usually, there will be one last-minute "oh shit I forgot about the Deadline, here is my topic that I'll probably end up changing anyway because I'm not really feeling it but need to give you something as you're trying to fall asleep" text.

Thursday

It's a call day! At some point during our week, we're graced with the face-to-face (screen-to-screen?) presence of our Content Strategists. Bless you.

Speaking of Content Strategists, sometimes they'll grace the entire Community with their existence by popping into our GroupMe chats.

Friday

This is another good day to remind the Community about packaging their content because if they don't then what's the point of life anymore?

It's the big Deadline day! Articles are due promptly by 11:59 PM. Once a week around that time we'll receive the "I won't be submitting my article tonight since my dog ate my computer can I please have an extension because at least I am aware of the Deadline as you're trying to fall asleep" text. I can't be the only one who regrets setting the Deadlines so late?!

Saturday

Today is editing day, the best day of the week! That is until we go through each article and notice multiple Creators don't do the thing that we just told the whole Community to do so everyone's life is easier.

Sunday

We finally finish editing all the articles but then we get the inevitable "I finally submitted my article sorry it's late because my dog ate my computer" text.

@EICs on Sunday night as we get ready to do it all over again.

Shoutout to all the Lehigh Valley Creators: I can't get enough of you all. Seriously. Text me more often.