Watching Baseball Smarter

Watching Baseball Smarter

A quick-guide to the levels of summer baseball.

21
Watching Baseball Smarter

Out of the number of things in life that I find true joy in, baseball has to be one of the most contributory. That passion stems from both my personal career as well as the very nature of the game itself. There is something truly beautiful about America’s pastime, and it the scope at which it has impacted history cannot be undermined, from the casual onlooker to the seasoned fanatic. Many of us will find ourselves enjoying baseball in one capacity or another as the boys of summer take the diamond, and I’d like to use this brief article to help everybody watch the game a little smarter. Whether you are at a college wood-bat game or witnessing professionals perfecting their craft, everybody can benefit from understanding just what it is that they’re watching.

College

The lowest amateur level that many will find themselves watching is a collegiate summer wood-bat league. There are dozens of these leagues across the country, and much of it is high-quality baseball at a discounted price. I’ll take this time to plug the Coastal Plains League, as many of my teammates and hometown friends showcase their talents across the Southeastern United States. These players are not compensated for their play because they have to maintain a state of amateurism as instructed by the NCAA. These teams are sprinkled throughout small town USA, uniting communities everywhere as they cheer on local college players.

Then there is Minor League Baseball (MiLB), a unique and often misunderstood concept that perplexes most. Sporting playful team names, the MiLB has a personality all its own.

Draft

Minor league players are professionals that have either been drafted or signed a free-agent contract, and are compensated for their work. Upon signing, most players receive a signing bonus based on the demand for their talents, the value of which is directly correlated with what round they are drafted. The draft is comprised of 40 rounds, with signing bonuses ranging from several million dollars to only a few thousand. Since players are compensated at a rate even smaller than minimum wage, most are forced to budget the much larger signing bonus in order to live.

Minor League Levels

A small number of minor league teams are actually owned by their major league affiliates, but all have a contract binding their relationship. Professional teams with no major affiliation are considered independent. The progression of MiLB levels are probably the question that most people ask but never get a clear-cut answer to. A professional progression is as follows: Rookie, A-Short Season, Low-A, Advanced-A, AA, AAA, and finally the Major Leagues (MLB). Not all players must play at every level in order to advance, and the competition is tight. Less than 1 percent of all players drafted will find themselves on a 40-man MLB roster at any point in their career.

Baseball is a beautiful sport that has connected families, cities." generations. Hopefully, now many of you can appreciate it at a new level while enjoying your beer, hot dogs." a seventh-inning stretch.